Dual display issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased two LG L203WT LCD monitors. I have an ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE 6600 GT with a DVI and a VGA port. When I plug in both monitors, one will work fine a the native resolution of 1680 by 1050, but the other will only go to 1600 by 1024. I have updated all drivers. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the monitor bacuase the problem switches monitors when i switch the cables. through a complex process of switching between the dvi cable and a vga to dvi adapter, I can get them both to the correct resolution, but it reverts upon computer restart. The problem is not just with the monitor plugged into the DVI port, sometimes the one on the VGA port has the problem. could the problem be related to the fact that my graphics card only has one dvi port? Tigerdirect is selling a setup very similar to mine but the graphics card has two dvi ports. (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3106998&CatId=2776) Should I buy a graphics card with two dvi ports? Or do I need a second graphics card? I'm completely out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for the help!

What's the max res for the video card?
What's the max for each monitor?
Try lowering the res for both so the max up correctly..
If both monitors have DVI you can get a DVI Y monitor split..

connects to the video card --female with two male ends (for each monitor to connect)

Don't mix VGA and DVI together is has to be one or the other. It might work for some but I don't recommend it. Unless you use a VGA Y cable to split the two monitors.

Again don't max the res until you can get the both of the monitors to work correctly.

You can mix DVI and VGA just fine. If you couldn't nobody would sell video cards with both. I ran an ATi 9600XT and a GF7800GS on 2 Benq 20.1s for a long time, both of those cards had 1 DVI and 1VGA. I never had any problems with that setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back