Dual Gigabit Lan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

So I just thought about this today. My DFI Lanparty UT Sli-D has the Dual Gigabit Lan feature. What exactly would you need two connections for on this type of a motherboard?

Also, would it matter which I use? I read they used two different chipsets (Vitesse VSC8201 Gigabit Phy and Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit PCI)

Aj

You could share your internet connection or just connect to two different networks.. Or, have a dedicated storage/media network and a generic internet network.
Most likely they just put two interfaces there because they can - silicon is cheap and people like to buy stuff with more "features" and bigger numbers on :)

You could benchmark both interfaces and see which one is faster/uses less CPU. I'd say your mileage depends on your OS, drivers and the peer device.

hmmm ok. Ok lets say this..

I have two computers, my mac [which has no access to my network] and then my pc [which will be using wifi]

Would i be able to access the network through my pc for my mac if i connected them through the thernet port? Or would it have to be a physical connection to the network [as in instead of wifi for the pc]

Yes, it will work just fine. You can use either the ICS feature or plain bridging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back