Dual Moniters and DVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steg

Now i have got myself a second moniter i was hoping to play around with nview and 2 moniters however my wonderful graphics cards (cough cough :D) has only one VGA port and one DVI - so i was wondering if there was a way to convert a DVI port to a VGA port - if so will some one post a link to how/where i can get a converter

Steg

There are deffinatly converters availeble, my VGA card came with a converter. If i find a site that sells the connectors i'll post it.

Greets Crazy,

crazy; If you are refering to the little adapter that allows a Vga terminal on the cable to connect to DVI terminal ,I don't think that is going to do it.
steg wants to convert digital signal to analogue so he can connect a CRT to the DVI port on his card.
At least thats how I understand it .

See the thread below by Didou ' Dual display problem' he mentions a 'DVI-VGA gender changer'
Maybe this is what your looking for?

Here you go. Sometimes you can get one in your card's bundle, sometimes not.
toad666.gif

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=DVI,to,VGA,adapter

14-999-201-02.JPG

Image taken from NewEgg

Gosh $8 is a rip..

I setup dual moniters today [got a 17" LCD] and its really nice! Im using nView and gets the job done well. Im posting on the LCD, and working in PS on the CRT. My CRT is 19", and I sware - this 17" LCD is the same size as the 19" CRT. The colors looks 10x nicer.. they're bighter and more clear.

Once TFTs all have low response times & are affordable, there won't be anymore reasons to get a CRT. Not to mention the space you save on your desktop.

In the meantime, coupling a TFT with a CRT is a very flexible setup. Do everything that requires low response times on the CRT & all the rest on the TFT.

I think all the cards coming out now have dual Outputs so there isn't much stopping you from getting such a setup besides budget of course.:)

yeh - Liquidlen got idea
looks like that converter will do the job - now to find one in the UK - cant be that hard

Steg

crazy; If you are refering to the little adapter that allows a Vga terminal on the cable to connect to DVI terminal ,I don't think that is going to do it.

Sorry to say Liquidlen, but it did came with my card:).
To bad a second monitor doesn't fit on my desk:( else I would be using the DVI:grinthumb

Maybe someday, when i get a new desk.

Greets Crazy,

I'm guessing your TFT is Analogue only steg.

a simple DVI->Analogue convertor as posted by Didou will do the job perfectly mate.

Working in the IT trade, I'm actually in management, but i've got minions that build for me, i've got loads of these convertors, mail me ur address if ya want, i'll post ya one, unless u've sorted it by then.

Steg ,I was wrong according to Mueller's Upgrading and repair PC's chapter 15 of 13 th ed. you can plug an analogue CRT into a DVI -I output with a simple adapter.
Spank me

You may find that you can only run one display at a time (though you will be able to connect two monitors), unless you have a graphics card that supports dual displays.

The fact he has both connectors Nic, would make me think he'll be ok... looking at his sig, i'd have said a GF3 would be more than capable of Dual displays

Originally posted by Greeno
The fact he has both connectors Nic, would make me think he'll be ok... looking at his sig, i'd have said a GF3 would be more than capable of Dual displays
My Radeon 9600 Pro has two connectors, but only activates one of these at any time. It detects which connector has the monitor and then sends the video to that connector. I've tried it. Maybe his card will work differently, but there is only one way to find out. :)

I've never used dual displays before so maybe I didn't configure mine properly. All I know is that when I attached two monitors to my card, only one remained on, and the other went blank. Maybe there are some settings that I overlooked, so if anyone has already sussed this out, then please post and let us know.

Actually, now that I think about it, my ATI graphics card does show both primary, and secondary, controllers in device manager, so I suspect that it should be possible to configure two displays. If you only have one display controller show up, then you are probably out of luck.

ok thanks people - i have orders a converter - should do the job no problem
now all i have to do is sit and twiddle my thumbs until it comes and then see if i can play ut2 on one screen while doing english coursework on the other :D

now...in the mean time - lets play Max Payne 2

thanks again

Steg

Steg, with my dual moniters, if Im in a full screen game such as UT or WC3, I can see whats on the other screen, but my mouse cant go over to it. Its stuck in the game window. So I cant play WC3 and surf the net at the same time :( It'll probably be like this for you too

I have a somewhat related issue... my recently built PC was running very well until yesterday! All of a sudden the fan on the Abit video card is making a lot of noise!

I also (yesterday) started running dual monitors off the back of my Abit GF4Ti4200-8X video card. One CRT monitor is connected through VGA Out connector and the second through the DVI-I Out connector with a DVI-I to D-Sub adapter (Having the second monitor is really neat since I can have different things up on each screen...).

When I bend down and look at the fan, when it starts getting noisier, it looks like the fan is actually slowing down!!!

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a way to check the fan? Is the speed of this fan controllable? Am I working the card too hard by running the 2 monitors off of it and thereby impacting the fan's capabilities?

Of course Dual View operations means extra work for the Ramdac(s) & the chip itself but it should be doing it without any extra cooling. It's possible that your fan might be wearing out or simply needs to be cleaned. Dust buildup can also make it harder to spin or/and noisier.

It's hard to say if Dual View had made a difference on my card since I've been using it in such a way ever since I got it.

It's possible that your fan might be wearing out or simply needs to be cleaned. Dust buildup can also make it harder to spin or/and noisier.

This is a brand new PC and video card... I am starting to wonder if it is the card itself!! Abit sponsor a forum and the discussions were suprisingly negative concerning the quality of this Abit GF4Ti4200-8X video card!! Wish I had seen this before I bought it... Seems like a lot of people had to RMA the card several times!!

Get one of those ->

ZM80C-HP3_b.gif

& if need be, one of those ->

ZM-OP1_3_b.gif

You'll be dancing like this...

duck_dance.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back