Dual procesor mobo??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lehsstudent

i have been told that there is no such thing but i was at my friends house and was screwing around with site called puget systems and designed a comp but i saw a dual procesor mobo. is it possible to get a cheap mobo?

i have to disagree with the server part because it was a gaming mobo that i saw. i define cheap as in under 500(no im not rich but a cheap car is under 5000 so cheap is used in context)

Umm..a cheap card to me is under $200, and a cheap mobo is under $150. Not that i ill only pay that much, but considering that a high end mobo runs for 250, and a high end vid card is 3-500..i would say cheap is less then that.

Well, im not saying that it cant be used for gaming, but it would be pointless. You would never utilize both cpu's, unless you were doing some serious bottle necking, which makes the whole thing pointless.

dual processer mobo? what about a 72way sun

2 processors on 1 pc? imagine 72 processors in one computer.

http://www.sun.com/servers/highend/sunfire_e25k/index.jsp

but you couldn't play any games on it. honestly dual processors used to be a good price/performance option but so much anymore because manufacturers don't support MP on cheap processors anymore. for best price/performance i would recommend athlon 62 x2 which is dual core.

lol I understand excatly what you are thinking with the dual porcessors. The thought of having two processors in on machien and both being dual core makes me gitty. Unfortunatly when it comes down to it thought you will never even touch the second processor enough to be worth it. They are manly used by ppl using as servers or render stations. I do 3d work and I wanna get a 8 processor with them all dual core but thats only cause i could make use of the processors. games suck in that aspect but you should need to use more then one processor for a gaming rig.

Its amazing to think that that $600,000 server will be worth $500 in 5 years, concidering intel will have 80 core cpu's by then.

i saw one in a popsci mag (nov 06) that had 200 and ran at a "theoreticle 60 petaflops". this brings up several q's. what the hell is peta. and what the hell do they mean by "theoreticle" and whats a flop?

There are many kinds of floating point operations, some simpler than others and one can claim an amount of "theoretical" flops that is way more than the amount of "useful" flops a machine can do. (See the Cell hype :p )

That's why supercomputers are usually benchmarked with a certain problem set called LINPACK. This gives you a more realistic performance measure. Results here: http://www.top500.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back