Dual vs single channel memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running my machine with two 512 mb sticks in dual channel mode. I have a third stick laying around but according to my mb manual I must either populate all four memory slots or just two of them in order to run in dual channel mode. My question is: Will I get better perfomance running 1.5 gb ram in single mode or should I stick to 1 gb ram in dual channel mode?

Most things out there now unless you are doing some serious multitasking or video/graphic rendering 1GB is plenty of memeory and you probably won't see that much of a differnence with 1.5 or even 2. Unless you do some of the other things mentioned or play BF2. From what I have heard that game really seems to like running on 2GB of memeory for some reason.

Stick with the 1GB in dual channel mode. if you just must have more memory then buy another 512 stick and run 2GB in dual channel mode.

iss said:
Stick with the 1GB in dual channel mode. if you just must have more memory then buy another 512 stick and run 2GB in dual channel mode.
That really is the best idea. Then you are still dual channeling everything and you have twice the memory that you had before.

I have 1.5gb and I can count on 1 hand all the times when I went over 1gb.

You really have to have a LOT of memory hog programs open to use over that amount of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back