Dualboot Ubuntu64/XP64 no boot menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

monton

Hi all
I've decided to take Ubuntu for a spin and love it. I won't be purchasing Micro$oft OSes any more. I installed Gutsy on a XP Pro 32bit sys without problems partitioned the hard drive 50 - 50. On boot gives me the option to choose which OS I want to use and defaults to Gutsy G.

I added a hard drive to have room for Ubuntu on my XP Pro 64bit with raid 1 installed. Ubuntu is on the third (non raid) drive. Windows doesn't see the drive. On boot it goes straight to XP. No choice of OSes.
How can I get the boot menu to work/display?

An added note on my 32bit ntfs system. I have been able to read files with ubuntu from the ntfs windows partition. No problem. Go figure!

Existing drive in RAID 1 mirrored
New drive for Ubuntu exclusively.

Monton

ASUS A8N-E
AMD Opt 185
nvidia 8800
2 gb ram

If you were saying that you are on the windows XP, you didn't see the hard drive, because it is completely different partitions than it can recognize.

Instead, you can force them to boot manually at post-bios going to the boot menu and selecting your Ubuntu hard drive.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll tinker with the BIOs. I'm not at the computer but I did set the boot sequence to
hard drive
hard drive
CDROM
removeable
The drives are 3gb SATA drives. Drive sata1 and sata2 are the mirrored drives
sata3 is the Ubuntu drive. On boot the OS gets booted from sata1.
If I rearrange how they are plugged: 3 = 1 1+2 become 3+4. I think it will boot to Ubuntu but don't think it will give me the boot menu. I don't think Ubuntu knows that it is also a windows machine because it is on an independent drive.
Just thinking out loud here. And it seems the more wine I drink the fuzzier it all gets.
Thanks for the suggestion and I'll see how it works tomorrow. I'll post again I'm sure.
Thanks
monton

Well.
You did a good start.

You missed out something.
Notice that you have to use the DEL to enter bios, right?

What about F8, because it is ASUS board, it should take you to Boot Menu
that way you can pick any hard drive you wants.

I have two hard drive, one boot into XP and OpenSuSE.

Works great.

Tried F8 and it works great. Selected SATA3 and got the boot menu I was looking for. Launched Ubuntu and am currently doing updates etc.
Thanks a bunch for the advice!
Monton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back