dust and video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenjy

would dust hinder the perfromance of a video card, and if so how should i go about cleaning it properly? thanks in advance

Dust won't hurt the performance of a video card as such, but it might make the lifespan of the fan on the video card shorter, meaning you'll have to buy a new one sooner...

I usually vacuum clean my computer every now and then to remove all the dust build-up... But you should be careful when doing it... Don't let the hose touch any cards or anything (fans start spinning, and it's easy to break a fin)...
Also never use a metal pipe when vacuuming your computer, as it can create static electricity and kill your computer. It is also a point not to use a brush tip or anything like that for the same reason...

You don't have to clean you computer very often (I do it about twice a year), and if there's only a buildup of dust on the fan, you can often just remove it with your hands (after you've grounded yourself)...

You can also used canned air to blow the dust away. But again, remember no metal pipe!

Hope this helps :)

Dust can indirectly hinder performance, as it builds up on the HS and fan blades it will keep the fan from moving as much air(can also shorten its life as mentioned) it can also hinder the HS from being able to dissipate heat effeciently. I recommend using compressed air to redmove dust. I would not recommend using a micro vacuum inside the case, as the motor creates an EMF which can potentially kill some components(this is not common, but is possible) If you want to use a vacuum, I'd recomment using a shop-vac with one of those mini-vac kits.

Depending on the Case configuration,,i suggest magnet strips and a single layer of pantyhose over the inlet vents on the inside of coarse. A twin or Tri-fan PSU and one or more Case fans blowing out. I have cleaned my Case out once,(Befor i put the panty hose) and tossed plenty of those out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back