dvd and cdrom drivers reload at each reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglytobone

dvd and cdrw drives detected as new hardware each reboot

I have a Plextor 712A DVD RW drive and a generic CDRW drive. Just about everytime (but not always) that I reboot, Windows thinks they are new devices and reloads the drivers. Not a serious problem that I can tell, but what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Bumping this. Any ideas? Both devices are recognized as new hardware almost every time I reboot. I've done some searching on the internet and the only thing that comes close is the suspicion that the two drives are incompatible and I should use a 40 wire cable instead of an 80 wire cable. It was also suggested to just go to a one optical drive setup using 80 wire cable. I am going to try that and see how it works.

Most likely a related issue is that the dvd drive performs poorly and I get frequent corrupted data messages when reading from cds. The dvd drive can also be very unresponsive-- slow loading, or bay door won't open and just sits there blinking at me-- usually causing me to reboot. I have run a complete diagnostic on the dvd drive and it appears to be a working drive otherwise. Cdrw drive functions normally.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back