DVD burner recognized by BIOS, but not Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

papercut_2008

I just got a new DVD burner, and it was working fine for a few weeks. Then today, i reboot my computer, and it's not there. i reboot gain, and it shows up on the BIOS splash screen correctly, but windows can't find it. i checked my device manager, and it says the drivers are installed, but the device is not present. About a week before i bought the new burner, my old drive stopped working, but the circumstances were different. it was recognized, but it wouldn't read anything, and a system scan (using Sis Sandra Lite) showed something was there, but it couldn't tell me what. Are these two tings related, and how can i get my drive working again?

I had a similar problem running Windows ME on a VIA Apollo MVP chipset based motherboard. The problem occured when I enabled DMA access for the DVD drive through Device Manager. After enabling DMA and rebooting the computer, the drive completely disappeared from Windows, but the BIOS still recognized and reported its presence. The problem was resolved when I downloaded and installed the ATAPI Vendor Support and IDE Miniport drivers from the VIA website. These drivers can be found at www.viaarena.com.

Nforce2 chipsets are manufactured by nVidia, so check out the following:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

(select Platform/nForce drivers under "Start Here").

You may be able to confirm the theory before downloading and installing any motherboard chipset drivers. In my case, the DVD drive disappeared from all the places you'd normally expect to find it within Windows -- no icon listed under My Computer , no CDROM/DVD-RW entry listed under Device Manager etc. But I did find that the DVD drive was in fact listed in Device Manager, albeit erroneously under SCSI controllers (this wasn't a SCSI device!). Try hunting around in Device Manager -- If your DVD player doesn't appear in the SCSI controller category, try some of the other IDE-related categories, perhaps Disk Drives or RAID controllers. If you're able to find the drive, go to Properties | Settings, uncheck the DMA box, then reboot the computer. If the Windows now properly detects the DVD drive, you've only partially solved the problem -- performance will be degraded since you've turned off DMA. After installing the nForce chipset drivers, you should be able to turn DMA back on and retain Windows recognition of the drive.

ok- i checked out my device manager, and you were right about SCSI. it does appear under CD drives however, as LITEON DVDRW Scsi CdRom Device, and it appears as disconnected, with no option to disable DMA.

An enabled DMA state may not be triggering failure to recognize the drive, but the fact it appears as a SCSI-controlled (rather than an ATAPI-controlled) device seems to support the driver-in-need-of-an-update theory.

Perhaps you should try updating the nForce chipset drivers from nVidia's site. Be sure to pick the exact drivers for your motherboard's chipset. You may also have to remove the LiteOn DVD-RW entry from Device Manager (right-click the line and select "remove"). After rebooting, Windows should automatically detect and re-register the drive, hopefully this time correctly.

i found drivers, but they wouldn't install. they unzipped, and then the install screen flashed and went away. i went to the location they were unpacked to, but got the same result when i ran the setup file from there.

I just finished reinstalling windows, with no luck (which is odd because windows reinstalled from my CD in the drive... hmmm...) I read somewhere else to uninstall the IDE/ATAPI controller in device manager, as all optical drives use native Windows drivers. On my system however, it shows as Nvidia Nforce, which is not a native Windows driver. if i uninstall this, is there a chance it won't come back? (my hard drive is also IDE)

I got a response back from Microsoft a few days ago, and the tech had me try to delete the IDE entry from my registry, but it wont delete- i get an error messege. any thoughts?

Checking that the steps were:

1 - reinstall XP
2 - install chipsets drivers from the mobo cd
3 - install video drivers
4 - install audio drivers
5 - install LAN/Modem drivers
6 - download and install service pack 2 (if necessary) and the 70 gazillion additional MS updates

Yes?

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/

Oh my god dude i love you. that fixed it- just deleting those two registry entries did the trick. Techspot has yet to fail me- people helping eachother with no personal gain? This is what being a nerd is all about.

Optical Drives and drivers.

papercut_2008 said:
Im running windows xp on an nforce2 chipset. do you know where i could find drivers compatible with this?
Your video card doesn't apply to this topic.
==========================
XP will detect and install the drivers,
Mine worked right away.
But i updated the firware as i had a read problem.Thats fixed.
Did it include a manual and burner software disc ?
Do you have Nero installed or what came with it ?
It has ways to test your drive.
See attached for Nero's
One more great idea.It should still be warranted.You know the rest.

zipperman said:

papercut_2008, isn`t talking about his video card, he`s talking about his mobo chipset drivers. See below.

papercut_2008 said:
Im running windows xp on an nforce2 chipset. do you know where i could find drivers compatible with this?

As for the rest of your post, did you see that the problem was already solved by deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry?

papercut_2008 said:
Oh my god dude i love you. that fixed it

This is quite a common problem, and the link that CCT gave, usually fixes it.

I respectfully suggest you read the posts properly, before replying.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
papercut_2008, isn`t talking about his video card, he`s talking about his mobo chipset drivers. See below.

As for the rest of your post, did you see that the problem was already solved by deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry?

This is quite a common problem, and the link that CCT gave, usually fixes it.

I respectfully suggest you read the posts properly, before replying.

Regards Howard :)

Quote : papercut,
"it shows as Nvidia Nforce"
Isn't this a video card ?
So read mine again
==========================
I got a new DVD-RW a month ago.I didn't have these problems.
I respectfully suggest you read my posts properly, before crying.:D .

I think my post got entered in the wrong order,before it was solved.
It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back