DVD Burner showing as CR-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Pioneer DVR-1810 and it's viewed as a CD-ROM in my Windows Explorer. It will not burn DVDs or even let me view the media currently in the drive. I've went into the Device Manager and uninstalled both the CD-R I have and my new DVD burner. Both were found when I rebooted and reinstalled, but the Burner is still showed as a CR-ROM. What can I do about this?

You poor fellow...

how is the burner configured? Master, Slave or Cable Select? Have you tried another IDE cable?

It's set up as Cable Select, and I have another CD-RW set up the same way on the same cable. I just took out my old CR-ROM and replaced it with my Dvd burner. Maybe I did something the wrong way? I've even tried to get the firmware off of the pioneer website. Nothing helps!

I just rebooted again and now I can see TWO Cd-Rom drives! What is going on?! I see the Two CD-Rom drives AND my CD-RW drive! The CD-RW will still work, but the other two make my Windows Explorer Not Respond. What's going on?!

Make sure the IDE cable is firmly seated into the motherboard. Try setting the burner as master and the CDROM as slave

I just realized... Why do I need a CD-R when I have a DVD burner that does everything? I set the burn to Master and got rid of the second CD-R. Now it works! I'm not sure what did it, the jumper or getting rid of the other drive. But I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks for the help!

18x is wicked fast! It takes less than 10 mins to write a full dvd!

Good going Norse... This could have been a power issue too. When you nixed the CDROM, less power was needed from the power supply.

I have a CD/DVD burner and a DVD ROM. The master CD or DVD goes in the DVD ROM and the blank DVD goes in the burner. 2 drives, mean less wear on each drive

Tmagic650 said:
Good going Norse... This could have been a power issue too. When you nixed the CDROM, less power was needed from the power supply.

I have a CD/DVD burner and a DVD ROM. The master CD or DVD goes in the DVD ROM and the blank DVD goes in the burner. 2 drives, mean less wear on each drive

Ah yes, that could be a viable reason for having two drives. I have a 500watt PSU, so I don't really think it's a power issue. I might try again tomorrow with the other drive set on slave (it was also set on Cable Select) and see if it works.

Thanks for all the help.

Yes a 500watt PS should eliminate a power issue... I have seen this sort of thing with proprietary <200watt supplies. My Antec Server case Smart power 350watt PS has handeled 5 hard drives, CD/DVD burner, DVD ROM and an external 100GB hard drive very well

Hmmm.....

I'm a little befuddled as to why you are always discouraging the use of cable select. Granted that the Gigabyte mobo in question probably uses a master/slave relationship and the drives MUST BE set as such. But, as is usually the case I travel a different path. If the board requires it then I believe you should go with the flow. As I always mention I have 2 Intel boards that use cable select and I have 3 Pioneer drives between them all set to cable select, and (knock on wood) they've given me no trouble whatsoever. I replaced a drive in one of the Intels and the drive I removed was set to CS. So I took what I thought was a reasonable course of action, set the new drive to CS and stuffed it in. The BIOS however still denotes a master/slave relationship, obviously in keeping with the drives position on the cable. I hope this post didn't cloud the issue, I don't want or mean it to.

I always build my own systems, and with these, I always use the master/slave settings. On some older proprietary systems I use the CS settings like they were originally configured. I have seen some newer Dells and HP's that were configured master/slave. With the coming of SATA this is becomming a moot point.

Again,
I only suggest master/slave over cable select when detection problems exist. When cable select is used, both devices on the IDE cable must be set to cable select

Okay, is there any reason why when I restarted my system, my DVD burner isn't being shown and the other two OLD drives are back? I've uninstalled the drivers for both drives AGAIN through the Device Manager and restarted.... IT FOUND MY OLD DRIVES WHICH ARE 10FEET AWAY FROM MY COMPUTER IN A DRAWER AND REINSTALLED THEM! Is this some sort of lame virus?

apparantly you never fully removed the old drivers in your system. uninstall completely all your old drivers. Then reinstall the correct ones manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back