Not open for further replies.

Sab3r

Hello everyone,

I seem to have a weird problem, my DVD burner just suddenly stopped reading
cd's, I offcourse did something wrong somewhere allthough i don't know what I
could have done wrong.
Anyway here are the specs:

Motherboard:
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4E, 2815 MHz (14 x 201)
Motherboard Name: MSI PT880 Neo-SR (MS-7008) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset:VIA Apollo PT880
System Memory: 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type: AMI (03/12/04)

Storage:
IDE Controller: VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller: D347PRT SCSI Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller: VIA SATA RAID Controller
Disk Drive: WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0 (111 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive: ATAPI DVD RW 8XMax

I really need this fixed cause i tried other cd drives but they just don't work.
As in they aren't detected.

Note: i have done a bios reset once (dunno if this is any good to help out but
I guess that all info will do :))

If you guys need some more info just say so ;)

It can read dvd's but it won't read cd's anymore.

if i updated the drivers would that work?
though i don't know where to get these drivers..

hhmm it seems that it can read normal cd's and dvd's but it can't read empty cd's or dvd's. :confused:

You can't update drivers, you could update the firmware maybe.
What do you mean it can't read empty ones, do you mean they don't show up as inserted? What about in your burning program?

go into device manager and see if the drive is seen with a ? or !, if so do this.

Click the Start button, click Run.
In the Open box, type Regedit, and then click OK.
Click the plus sign (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Click the plus sign (+) next to SYSTEM.
Click the plus sign (+) next to CurrentControlSet.
Click the plus sign (+) next to Control.
Click the plus sign (+) next to Class.
Click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
On the right hand side of the window, click UpperFilters.
Click Edit on the menu bar.
Click Delete, and then click OK.
On the right-hand side of the window, click LowerFilters.
Click Edit on the menu bar.
Click Delete, and then click OK.
Click File, and then click Exit.
Restart the computer normally.

If there is only one of the filters delete the one inthere, sometimes they are not both in the file.

SNGX1275 said:
You can't update drivers, you could update the firmware maybe.
What do you mean it can't read empty ones, do you mean they don't show up as inserted? What about in your burning program?

well when i insert a cd/dvd that has not yet been written on and i open up a burning
program to burn an image or whatever then i can't simply because its not showing
my dvd burner.

so it can read cd's/dvd's that are already written on but not the ones that have
not yet been written on and this happened when i rebooted my computer cause
i was struggling with the ram issue which is fixed.

anyway i checked the device manager and it showed up as if there was nothing
wrong with it, though i still did the regisrty thingy but that didn't work.
btw the upperfilter wasn't in there only the lowerfilter which i have deleted.

Note: i had to take the whole thing out once or twice....

Sab3r said:
well when i insert a cd/dvd that has not yet been written on and i open up a burning
program to burn an image or whatever then i can't simply because its not showing
my dvd burner.
The program doesn't show your burner at all? Or just that there isn't a disk in?
The drive still shows up in Windows right?

My suggestion now is to go into device manager and remove your drive. Then uninstall your burning software. Then Reboot, and Reinstall your burning software.

In Nero I know that if you don't have anything in the drive and hit burn, it will prompt you for a disk, and then if you put one in it checks the disk and begins burning without you needing to hit anything. If you are using nero, try this and see what it does.

SNGX1275 said:
The program doesn't show your burner at all? Or just that there isn't a disk in?
The drive still shows up in Windows right?

My suggestion now is to go into device manager and remove your drive. Then uninstall your burning software. Then Reboot, and Reinstall your burning software.

In Nero I know that if you don't have anything in the drive and hit burn, it will prompt you for a disk, and then if you put one in it checks the disk and begins burning without you needing to hit anything. If you are using nero, try this and see what it does.

With an unwritten disk in it, it won't show the dvd in the burning program but it
does show up in windows, thats the weird thing, it shows up as normal.

Going to try the uninstalling....

Similar problem.

My Lite-On DVD burner drive (LH-16w1p) doesn't recognize blank media in the drive but does recognize burned discs. Usually when you put a cd in the drive and XP will have a prompt what I want to do with the blank media: I don't get that prompt anymore, even though in the drive's properties I tell it to prompt me everytime... Where are my prompts? Everything seems to be messed up since I got a program called TweakXP Pro, even after uninstalling the program.

No idea as to how I can burn media on I was thinking the drive didn't like the media.... it's called Imation DVD-R 16x 4.7BG. I can't even test it with NeroSpeed.... crappy media?? maybe.

i hate using imation medias because only my laptop could'nt burn those media at all... i prefer verbatim nowadays... it's much reliable than sony optical media for my case....

try read some of my Notes
who knows your problem might be cleared using some of the common method...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back