DVD burner suddenly went slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been burning some DVDs as backups. I have a fairly new computer and could make a copy in about 25 minutes. Suddenly last week the process started taking 90 minutes!
I have tried emptying my trash, defragmenting, reloading the burning sofware, everything I can think of. I cannot get it to read & burn at the previous rate.
Anyone have any ideas??
Thanks

same thing just happened to me, probably last week. was about to try all the steps you listed to "fix" the problem ... but since you tried and they didn't help ... now i don't know how to fix it. :( :knock: :bounce:

Fix It!

:chef: Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>[RESPECTABLE CHANNEL]>"properties">Advanced settings

transfer mode needs to be in the highest DMA mode to get numbers like before.. this reverts to PIO when the laser reaches defects in disk surfaces

Fiziks said:
:chef: Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>[RESPECTABLE CHANNEL]>"properties">Advanced settings

transfer mode needs to be in the highest DMA mode to get numbers like before.. this reverts to PIO when the laser reaches defects in disk surfaces

Fiziks - Thanks for replying. :) You were right.

I'm pretty much computer illiterate so I need some more help. I show two primary IDE channels under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. The first one listed is not enabled and gives me no option to enable it (at least in the properties window). The second primary IDE channel listed shows transfer mode of "DMA if available" option, but the current transfer mode shows "PIO mode." I don't see any way to change this setting to be DMA.

Can you please assist, thanks?

try this

there should be a drop-down list, check included screenshot :giddy:

usually the optical drive is located on the --secondary-- IDE channel, I've never before seen an optical on the primary channel, but I suppose it's not inprobable
or is it? :monkey:

Attachments

• DMAenabled.JPG
    DMAenabled.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 19
Fiziks said:
matt, what does this have to do with the current situation?
If you would've went to the site and read what it said, you would have had an answer to the question you just asked.

"For example, here's one of the common problems brought by Starforce: under Windows XP, if packets are lost during the reading or writing of a disk, XP interprets this as an error and steps the IDE speed down. Eventually it will revert to 16bit compatibility mode rendering a CD/DVD writer virtually unusable. In some circumstances certain drives cannot cope with this mode and it results in physical hardware failure (Most commonly in multiformat CD/DVD writer drives). A sure sign of this step down occurring is that the burn speeds will get slower and slower (no matter what speed you select to burn at). Starforce, on a..."

uh yeah, I suppose that's basically what I said, although there is starforce protection on a few games I play and never has my optical drive reverted back to PIO

shouldn't all drives support this [16bit] mode change?

Fiziks said:
there should be a drop-down list, check included screenshot :giddy:

usually the optical drive is located on the --secondary-- IDE channel, I've never before seen an optical on the primary channel, but I suppose it's not inprobable
or is it? :monkey:

the secondary IDE channel has the DMA if available option picked from the drop down - as well as the two primary IDE channels I have. however the enabled primary IDE channel shows current transfer rate of PIO even tho the DMA if available option is picked from the dropdown menu.
see screenshot.

Attachments

• scrshot.JPG
    scrshot.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 13
  • scrshot2.JPG
    scrshot2.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 9
I'm sorry, I was trying to recreate your problem on my system.. all I can suggest is reading this and reinstalling your drive

Fiziks -

I'll go ahead and try that solution you found for me. Thanks so much for all your help and I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks again :grinthumb

Fiziks said:
uh yeah, I suppose that's basically what I said, although there is starforce protection on a few games I play and never has my optical drive reverted back to PIO

shouldn't all drives support this [16bit] mode change?
It's not suppose to revert it back to PIO, it's suppose to make the hardware slower even if it was DMA.

Fiziks -

Thank you so much for researching and finding that solution for me. It worked ... I uninstalled my Primary IDE channel driver (this is where my dvd burner is located apparently) and rebooted. Windows "found new hardware" and installed the driver automatically and it went back to DMA transfer rate. I burned some DVDs and they are burning at better speeds than even before I encountered this problem.

Thanks again for all your help.

:hotbounce :grinthumb ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back