DVD Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

agest

My DVD burner has been functioning very well until just recently. Suddenly, the burn starts then about 22% into the burn, the process fails. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nero but the problem persists. When I burn a CD on the same device, there are no problems. I do not understand why this has suddenly occurred. Any help/ ideas would be appreciated.

if it was functioning properly and suddenly isnt what has changed? are you using the same media as before? have you checked to make sure that the burner is operating in DMA mode and not pio mode? have you added or removed any other optical drives lately?

DVD Burner Problem

No I have not added other optical devices. What is DMA? A few days ago the system would not recognise either the cd rom or dvd burner even in the bios. I changed over the cd rom because the tray would not open, so I suspected it to be faulty. On the change over (plug and play), both devices were recognised and both running normally except for burning dvd.

Yes I'm using the same media dvd r+

DVD Burner Problem

I performed a defrag of Drive F and deleted the temporary DVD backup file. Using DVD Shrink I am now trying another DVD to a new backup file on Drive F. Encoding rate is around 2.17kbs/sec. I tried putting the backup file on another hardrive (Drive C), where I keep photos etc but Shrink told me the file was not big enough. Can I increase the file size?

I will try burning again when the encoding finishes and come back with the results.

I did notice when installing the new CD Rom that both the CD and DVD burner share the same ribbon cable. I don't know if this has any effect on performance and why?

DVD Burner Problem

I tried to burn another DVD but it failed. The log produced the following:-
5:19:23 PM #128 CDR -1061 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
Internal target failure

5:19:23 PM #129 TRANSFER -24 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

5:19:23 PM #130 Phase 38 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 276
Burn process failed at 16x (22,160 KB/s)

5:19:23 PM #131 Text 0 File AudioCompilationImpl.cpp, Line 867
DRM: DRM burn session terminated.

5:19:23 PM #132 Text 0 File AudioCompilationImpl.cpp, Line 896
DRM: Closing entire DRM handling. Bye.

Existing drivers:

Registry Keys:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

I did notice when installing the new CD Rom that both the CD and DVD burner share the same ribbon cable. I don't know if this has any effect on performance and why?

When you installed the CD rom did you make sure that it wasnt set to the same jumper setting as the DVD burner? two optical drives on the same cable need to have their jumpers set with one set to master and one to slave. if both are set with the same jumper setting then this could be causing your problem.

DVD Burner Problem

OK You have my attention. How do I tell which switches to toggle.
Just been thinking. The new cd rom should have a plastic plug in the rear. If this is removed, like a hard drive, the cd rom becomes the slave. Is this correct?

actually optical drives have three jumper positions on them. Master\slave\cable select. they should be jumperd properly. with two drives on one cable one must be set to master and the other to slave. ( cable select is used by manufacturer's like dell for their systems.) the drive will have instructions showing which position is which for each drive.

The burner should be jumpered as master and connected to the end of the ribbon cable.
The CDRom should be jumpered as slave and connected to the middle ribbon cable.
Cable select causes headaches.

patio. :cool:

DVD Burner Problems

That solved that problem. However, there has been a total system crash maybe or maybe not related to the drive problem. Anyway, the whole machine is now with the good doctor. It could need a whole new mother board - such is life!!!!
Thanks - will keep this site as a favourite - good people- good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back