DVD/CD-rom problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question to see if you have ever came across this before.

One of our users Cd-rom won't open, but get this it won't open if it's window mode. If I put the machine (Dell GX-270) into bios mode it will open. I have tried 6 different cd-roms, 3 different computers and different cds. The only consistent item has been his hard drive in all the swaps. Soon as his pc boots to windows it quits opening and shutting by using the button. I have tried the eject selection in my computer for cd rom no luck. The cd-rom will read and open the info on the cds just wont open. I'm looking on the net but only see people suggesting replacing the cd-rom and use a paperclip to open the door.

These cd-roms do work in other pcs correctly. I just tried going into system and uninstall cd -rom and restarting to reset the drivers. I should say these are dvd/ cd-rom, shouldn't make any difference but thought I would throw that out there. Once again the only part that has stayed the same in all changes is his hard drive and we are uning XP.

Any suggestions please holler back. Thanks

Tim

does it do it all both ide channels
and reload the controller chip drivers for motherboard(update)

Thanks for replying

These cd-roms (I have used 5-6 different ones) work on other PCs, I have even tried 3 different PCs. The cd-rom will quits opening when Windows start up. The cd-roms will actually work as in can read the cds while Windows is on just won't open to let me take cd out. Very interesting can't find anything else like this on the net. My nexty step is to re-image his hard drive but that would take the fun away of trying to find a fix for this. Any help would be appreciated
Tim

There has to be some sort of software responsible for this.

In classic witch hunt fashion, have you considered a virus? Try a free online scan.

I agree with Rick, this definitely seems like a software issue. I'd suspect malware first.

Could also be something simple like driver corruption though - maybe try repairing your windows installation?

Finally got it, It was the program CD Direct, once I put I put the program back into the startup taskbar the cd ejects correctly now. What a simple solution. Thanks for the suggestions, this is a great site and will surely use it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back