DVD combo not reading DVD but reading CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ,
I have a samsung Sm-352F CDRW/DVD combo drive ( 2 months old ) .Initially i just had to add it to my desktop and it was working fine reading both CD and DVD ...the SYstem tab still says that it is working fine and i m able to read CD on it but DVD are not being read .Once i load any movie DVD it tries to read it but after a few moments just stops . I am able to open and can explore it but it shows blank ..even though the DVD is just fine ...

can someone help ///
Am using XP
Thanks
ayush

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sounds to me that the drive is faulty. It`s only 2 months old so it will still be under warranty. Get it replaced.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Windows XP not reading SAMSUNG DVD SM-352F VT902

Windows XP not reading SAMSUNG DVD SM-352F VT902

From My Computer/Manage/Device Manager/DVD/CD-ROM drives, Right Click On Drive Name and select Properties. In the Driver Tab you will find

the version:

Driver Provider : Microsoft
Driver Date : 01/07/2001
Driver Version : 5.1.2535.0
Driver Signer : Microsoft Windows Publisher

In Driver details you will find File Version:

5.1.2600.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

The following Windows XP system files are currupt. Replace/ Update from original Windows XP CD or SP2 and reboot the system. (You may overwrite from other DVD readable system).

C:\Windows\System32\storprop.dll
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\cdrom.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\imapi.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\redbook.sys

Now you are will have the Success!! UREKA!!!

Thanks. Bye.

Drive may not be faulty if you can see the contents of it. But I don't think its a driver the driver issue above either, since it reads cds fine.

Try some other disks to make sure its not just that disk. Reinstall your dvd software (powerdvd or windvd I assume) and if it still doesn't work your drive may be bad.

You don't happen to have another computer you can test the drive in, or a bootable dvd do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back