DVD doesn't read disks???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

Hey guys, I have a little problem I was wondering if you could help me with. My DVD drive will not read and DVD or CD when it is placed in the drive.

I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1502 SCSI CD-Rom drive.

It says the device is working ok, and I didn't have to install any drivers for it when I installed the OS, so I don't know what went wrong. My device worked once before I reformatted, but now it's giving me problems. Do any of you guys or girls have any suggestions???

Im wondering if its an IDE driver (4-in-1) causing your grief. If it is showing up in the device manager then it shouldnt be that.

I would have to guess that it is probably a dead drive. I have found that cd/dvd drivers are not built to last anymore and seem to breakdown prematurely. Its purely speculative, but I would have to guess that the drive is no good.

Originally posted by svtcobra
Im wondering if its an IDE driver (4-in-1) causing your grief. If it is showing up in the device manager then it shouldnt be that.

I would agree with SVT too Super, check your device manager and see if under controllers you have primary and secondary dual fifo, also see if you have both drives listed under cd roms/dvd. Let us know if we can help some more !!

Hmmm...the controllers seem normal and the DVD drive is the only thing showing up in the CD/DVD drive section. I don't believe it is a bad drive because the light comes on and the drive starts spinning then stops abruptly. Maybe I'll try doing some research on this one, its really giving me fits!!!!

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
Hmmm...the controllers seem normal and the DVD drive is the only thing showing up in the CD/DVD drive section. I don't believe it is a bad drive because the light comes on and the drive starts spinning then stops abruptly. Maybe I'll try doing some research on this one, its really giving me fits!!!!

Super, try checking the ribbon cables too, if the power connector is connected, the drive will light up and spin, however, if the ribbon cable is loose, you may not get data. Check it and see.

Ribbon cable seems fine. Maybe it went bad or something.

It will not play any CD's whatsoever. It doesn't recognize that there is a CD in the drive, hence it will not access it.

Thanks for the help though, keep the suggestions coming!!!

At this point I would open the drive and check if CD starts to spin when inserted. The motor might be broken. Or there's something in the way that prevents it from working. Dust in the laser lens doesn't usually cause this but if it's too dirty, it just might do this. I solved my PS1 CD accessing problem by cleaning the small mirror under the laser.

Does the system read the disk if it is inserted before startup (i.e. if you leave the disk in the drive when you restart the system). If so I had a similar problem....

I searched for ages for a clue - in the end I did a clean install of WinME and that cured it.

I then slowly installed all my apps one at a time until it the CD/DVD drive stopped again.

The culprit was EasyCD Creator 5!!!! I un-installed it and re-installed 4.02 and that works fine!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back