DVD drive / BIOS recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerTender

Hi everyone,

I have a very strange problem - when starting up my PC, the BIOS randomly recognizes my DVD burner with a different model no. It is a LG GSA-H10N.

Usually, the BIOS says "Secondary Master GSA-H10N", but from time to time, it seems to have difficulties with reading the model number from the burner's firmware. Then it shows "Secondary Master LU J11" - as if it could not read from the firmware.

When booting up Windows XP, the Hardware recognition pops up and says "New Hardware found", showing the "new" (damaged) model no. of the burner.

Has anyone had similar problems and how did you fix them ?

Thank you,
Daniel

I've upgraded to the latest firmware version JL11, but the BIOS still recognizes different model no's.

This is weird - you fix one error and get another one :(

I just have erased the CMOS with the on-board jumper just to make sure that any wrong setting within the BIOS is being deleted. Then I've upgraded to the latest BIOS version.

I hope this is working. If not - what is the problem ? My best guess would be the DVD burner (damaged ?).

Thanks - Daniel

BeerTender said:
I just have erased the CMOS with the on-board jumper just to make sure that any wrong setting within the BIOS is being deleted. Then I've upgraded to the latest BIOS version.

I hope this is working. If not - what is the problem ? My best guess would be the DVD burner (damaged ?).

Thanks - Daniel

Hi

I have seen many a HD on the point of death show up in the BIOS as something like MAXTf5t, those that do this are usually dead in a week, in fact we ask our support staff to ask customers to reboot the pc and pause the screen at the point of detecting drives and read what it says, most times its gobbledygook, in which case we go out and change the drive.

Not sure if this is your issue as I have never seen it happen on anything other than a Hard drive, but theres always a first time...

Regards

Update: my problem seems to be fixed. I erased the CMOS and had no such error from that point on. Just to be sure, I replaced the DVD burner's data cable (80-pin) by a new one (40-pin), but I don't think that this has an effect since the 80-pin cable is now running properly in another PC with a hard drive.

I reflected the last weekend, and I think I know what caused this "problem": I installed the application "SpeedFan" on my PC. On the register "Clocking" I just set the motherboard to "Asus", and that's it. The warning that changing values here could damage the system has been ignored by me, since I was on the phone at that time.

What do you think ? Cable or application ?

Kind regards,
Daniel

BeerTender said:
Update:

What do you think ? Cable or application ?

Kind regards,
Daniel

Hi

I'm not sure if the speedstep app changes BIOS during install, but if it does and as you have reset the BIOS, then I would go for Application.

Just to be sure reinstall the APP and see if it screws it again, if so you have a definate answer.

Just pray you can reverse it.....:eek:

Regards

it may change the i/o controller driver settings
never heard of writing to bios while os is running
could have made bootstrap to fuss with bios on boot
hope not

its good ya got the upgrade anyways right
check your ide controller settings make a not of where they are at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back