dvd drive/burner problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefs_2k6

hey guys, i was hoping someone could help me with this...i cant burn AND i cant play dvds...im using Nero and every time i try to burn something, theres a box at the bottom that slowly gets filled up and inside of it, it says "Waiting for the drive to become ready" when the box is completely filled, it still doesnt do anything. i waited half an hour to see what happens and it stays like that. theres not even a "BURN" button. where its supposed to say burn it says "OK" and i cant even click that! I downloaded another dvd burner to see if maybe it was just Nero that has a problem but even with the new burner i downloaded when i click on "BURN" it says "Drive E: is not ready, please insert a blank disc into it first." and there is a blank disc in there. i checked properties of the drive and it says "this device is working properly" i have no clue what to do. help.

Check the properties in the Device Manager again but this time to see if Windows has changed it from DMA mode to the much slower PIO mode. If so, you want to change it back.

If that's not it, run a search in these forums on how to delete the upper and lower filters in the registry and try that.

oh and also u know for the deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry? for that ur supposed to go Start, Run and type in Regedit right? if thats how its supposed to be, mine doesnt work...when i type it in it says

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.

and i could choose either "Close" or "Ignore" but either way, they both just close the program.

In the Device Manager find "IDE ATA/ATAPI controller," not "DVD/CD-ROM drives." Click on the plus sign to the left. Your chipset might be different but mine says "NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller." Right click on this and find and click on "Properties." Look for the "Primary Channel" or "Secondary Channel" tab. On whichever your drives are located. Your drives should be listed there.

Edit: You posted your second question while I was still composing my answer above. Try using the file search function for "regedit.exe" without the quotes. When you find it, double click on the file.

k i did everything and now when i restarted my computer it gave me a messege saying

Pinnacle driver check detected problems with your driver settings.
Would you like to fix these now?

what do i do

firmware!

well cheif i have a nec dvd burner and the manufacturer website has a update for the burners firmware so maybe try that. also my son allways tries to play starseige (i think it is) on my puter and i get that same error
16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application

i have attached the files needed and a read me on how to fix this error maybe this will help you.

nothing really worked so far, my burner still doesnt work but now every time i start up my computer, i get a messege saying

RUNDLL
Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiefr40.dll
The specified module could not be found.

does anyone know what to do?

Run System file checker it will repair or replace any damaged or missing system files. with your XP Cd in the drive open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow this will run system file checker. from what you have said so far I would say that Pinnacle software is what is causing your problems.

msiefr40.dll is a spyware. Try running a System check with Adaware, Spybot and MS-Antispyware.

MS-Antispyware is heavy on system

Robikewl, Iss

i have Microsoft AntiSpyware, Iss-i dont have a windows xp cd because my computer came with xp...is there another way?

msiefr40.dll is indeed spyware. Why don't you do as robikewl suggested and use the FREE Adaware and Spybot programs? No single program is foolproof.

The only way to run system file checker is with an XP Cd. if you have access to ANY copy of the same type of XP ( Pro or Home) you are running it will work. it does not have to be YOUR XP Cd.

mailpup, iss

i got Adaware and the msiefr40.dll spyware is gone, my burner still doesnt work tho....iss, im gonna try to get an xp cd from someone and ill try the sfc /scannow again

If running SFC doesn't help, I'll suggest that the burner is faulty and that you should replace it.

does the problem with the burner have anything to do with Hotfixes?

it is possible, but....it is more likely that the pinnacle software is the source of your troubles. buggy burning software that casues conflicts can cause all kinds of problems with optical drives. a prime example is earlier versions of easy Cd creator which was notorious for disabling burners or making them disappear completely from Windows.

Do you have other burning software installed besides the pinnacle software?

i have Nero Burning Rom and Cute CD DVD Burner...i did download alot of other ones before but i uninstalled them all (including the easy cd creator u said, but this was a couple of years ago)

it could be that pinnacle is not playing nice with the other burning software. this was the problem with earlier versions of Easy cd creator. unfortunately most people found the only way to fix their problem was to reinstall windows. it is possible that your burner is defective. if you have the opportunity it would be worth your while to install it in another machine if available, this would tell you if it is a burner problem or a software problem.

for the hotfixes....how can i download the missing hotfixes on my computer? because i deleted some of them by accident before

Go back to Microsoft update. if update does not detect those updates it will offer them for download again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back