DVD Drive is working until windows starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I connected my HD into other PC then I connected it back on my PC but now I'm having a hard

time to make my DVD drive work, I never had problems before and it was working fine.

This is what happens:
When I turn on the PC, the DVD led flashes and everything, I can open and close the tray without

problems. The DVD drive is showed in the bios too. But as soon as Windows XP starts loading the DVD

drive wont work, with this I mean it wont even open the tray. Once Windows has started its the

same...

It looks like the drive is detected because under device manager it shows this: "DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom

device", and my other CD drive is listed too. But when I try to access it, I get a "Please insert a

disk into drive E:" eventho I already have a disc there. If I try to eject it using windows nothing

happens.

This is how I have my connections:
(got primary and secundary IDE enabled in bios)

Primary IDE: Master is my HD
Primary IDE: Slave is CD-ROM Drive

Secundary IDE: Master is DVD drive (the one with problems)
Secundary IDE: Slave = nothing

Already tried swapping the DVD-Drive to primary IDE as slave but it happens exactly the same.

Im so confused, why would it work before windows starts to load, but wont work after?? What do you

recommend me to do? Im out of ideas, do you think its the drive jumpers? Or something related to

Windows? should I reinstall?

Double check cabling and jumpers:

80 wire ribbons/cables ALWAYS require the master at the end of the cable and the slave at the middle (regardless of jumper settings)

The drive you want to be "master" or primary will plug into the black connector and the one you want to be "slave" or secondary will plug into the gray (middle) connector. If you set the drives to master/slave then the location on the cable becomes irrelevant. A single CS drive must be plugged into the black (end) connector.

The master/slave is determined by the jumper settings at the back of the drives.

40 pin ribbons connect Board/master/slave.

CCT said:
Double check cabling and jumpers:

80 wire ribbons/cables ALWAYS require the master at the end of the cable and the slave at the middle (regardless of jumper settings)

The drive you want to be "master" or primary will plug into the black connector and the one you want to be "slave" or secondary will plug into the gray (middle) connector. If you set the drives to master/slave then the location on the cable becomes irrelevant. A single CS drive must be plugged into the black (end) connector.

The master/slave is determined by the jumper settings at the back of the drives.

40 pin ribbons connect Board/master/slave.

Thanks for your suggestions CCT!

I think I found what the problem is, I was checking dvd jumper when I realized my DVD drive is missing 1 pin (pin #21, *picture below). After reinstalling Windows, device manager detects everything but my DVD drive, so I decided to leave the current configuration (IDE cables, jumpers, bios settings, etc) and swap the DVD drive for an old CD drive that I have, I kept everything the SAME, guess what? it worked fine, device manager detected my old CD drive with no problems.
What I found strange is, when I formatted and reinstalled windows I made it using the DVD drive that has 1 pin missing! and everything went Ok until windows started, then the DVD drive stopped working again. Remember I told you it worked just fine until windows started... Its just like when windows starts you cut the power off the DVD drive, it wont open, flash or anything.

My question is, ¿Can 1 pin cause that Windows isnt able to detect or use the drive, but that my bios is still able to detect and use the drive (before windows starts)?

dvdpin.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back