DVD-drive problems, Have you ever heard about a similar problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings fellow Techspot Visitors!

Thanks for reading this post ;)

First post on this forum, so I will jump right into it.

I have this pc, 1.5 years old, running perfect - full configuration can be posted if nessecary.

My problem is that about 2 month ago my dvd drive began to read dvd´s (dvd movies, dvd game discs, etc.) like the wind blew, basically whenever it wanted to. I had to eject the dvd continuesly for a few minutes before it suddenly started to read it. But now it has become a fierced battle just to get my drive to read any dvd´s lately. (it is still possible, after a few 20 mins struggle) This is however not satisfying :) Here comes the reason why I havent mention what type of dvd drive i got:

My first thoughts was that it was a problem with the dvd reading laser inside the dvd drive, which was messed up, so I tried to change to 2 completely new dvd drives, (two different brands) with the exact same result as my old one.

I have to mention tho that my computer has NO problem with reading any normal cd´s. It is only when I try with any dvd, that this problem occurs.

There has been no change in the hardware configuration in my computer besides the swapping of those new dvd drives. (the problem started before i started swapping, and the swapping around with different dvd drives was a direct result of the problems with the old one).

Any help will be much apreciated

Thanks in advance

I had same problem

Mine is a brand new Sony dvd-+rw though.
I updated the Firware and it plays dvd movies ok now.
Before it wouldn't play any.
There also might be other fixes at your brands website.
Have a look.

Thanks for a fast reply :)

The drive (HL-DT-ST GWA4164b dell) has atm no available firmware.
Besides, I did try with 2 different brands of dvd drives with same result as the old drive.

Ive done all of the "normal procedures" such as checking cables, tested power supply, updated dvd software (tried finding any firmware which would fit, so far unsuccesful.)

I am curious to see if anyone else have had similar problems and have been able to fix it.

Normally I would have bought a new dvd drive, but in this case, since I have already tried 2 new ones with the same result, leads me to suspect some software problem or perhaps even virus, messed up registry etcs.

How's Nero Doin' In His Old Age?

Don't know if this is it, but sometimes a burning suite can get corrupted. An Un & reinstall of the CD/DVD suite couldn't hurt, might help. The worst that could happen is it gets added to the list of eliminated possible causes.

if you have left autoplay enabled it is always possible that one of the disc's you have put in the drive has installed some kind of malware. there are some free rootkit detection softwares around try a google search for one.

Look West Young Man... To Redmond

The (I think) most popular of rootkit detection software, "Rootkit Revealer" has been commandeered (or bought out) by Microsoft. (It used to be on "sysinternals" website) It's still a free download. Just google that name and follow the yellow brick URL to the Microsoft page in Question. Here is a URL for a freeware registry cleaner. It,s gentle,and has never made a mistake on the 3 of my computers on which it's installed. http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html
Every time I install Nero (V6.6) it leaves over 100 excess registry entries. I should add that they don't seem to hurt anything. It's the thought that counts, just an annoyance. Hell, here's the Microsoft Tech-net link http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/RootkitRevealer.mspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back