DVD-/+ issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

I dropped by RadioShack to pick up some blank DVD's. When I found them i had the dilema of which to pick [I've just recently started using DVD's as blank media] so when I asked one ofthe employees they just gave me a blank look on which to say.

My DVD burner is capable of DVD -/+ R/RW -RAM
But he said my PowerMac G4 could be -/+

Is there a standard on what computer DVD drives are? Or do I need to put my luck into one and hope it works.

Thanks, AJ

Virtually any DVD burner sold in the past couple of years is capable of burning DVD+R, DVD-R and Dual layer DVD+RDL. you need to know what brand your burner is.different burners tend to show a preference for one type of media over another( + or -) as far as burn quality. Also keep your firmware up to date to deal with new media. my suggestion would be to stay away from Memorex media or no name, generic house bradn and buy Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, or maxell media.

as long as you know that your burner supportsd + and - then it should not matter. the only concern would be how old is the burner and does it have the latest firmware update? older firmware MIGHT have a problem with newer higher speed media. but that would be a burn speed\quality issue.

Hmm, i might have to clear this up.

When i asked the guy at radioshack, he brought up the question about what me <i>dvd-rom</i> drive was in my mac, and thus the problem. I always thought that DVD-Rom drives were -, but he said that i had to figure out before otherwise it wouldnt work. So i dont think it was so much as what my burner was as much as what i was reading it with.

thanks for the replies

DVD Roms which are read only will pretty much read any DVD unless it is a badly burned DVD which give them fits. But if you have a DVD burner installed it will certainly read what it is capable of burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back