DVD movies over network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of the kind of direct access needed to the DVD ROM (encryption and other security features), probably not.

And if there is, it will involve a special program or a lot of hassle (such as ripping the movie first).

However, you can try sharing your DVD ROM on the host computer. Map the DVD-ROM on the client computer as a network drive and then perhaps you can play a DVD movie. It's worth a shot at least.

Thanks Rick,

I have tried at least as much as you have suggested as well as load the DVD software (PowerDVD) on the client. I can browse the DVD disk from the client but it will not play. From the PowerDVD interface it will say that it doesn't recognize the file type or something like that.

Dave

And also, if you ripped the DVD to your HDD, then you would be able to watch those files over a home LAN connection on another machine from a mapped network drive, provided you have a nice 100mbps home network.

But what if you shared the drive, then put the DVD in it. Can't you simply browse to that drive and open it up and watch the DVD that way? I'm sure it would be laggy, but it might work.

I know you can do this to share a regular disk for someone over the network, but I"m not sure about a dvd.

It's not that simple because of CSS encryption on most DVDs. The player needs raw access to the DVD drive. Unencrypted DVDs could work, but I guess that depends on the player.

Yeah after I posted that I thought about it. I don't think it would work, unless you could specify a network drive to look at as well. I know with most, they will only look locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back