DVD-ROM error 1035: error reading from file...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cromrell

problem: error 1035 while installing from CD-ROM

currently rebuilding Compaq Evo N800v (had problem with NTFS and rebuilding from recovery CDs/image).

completed Compaq restore, but having difficulties re-installing office 2000 Pro.
Installation stalls approx 35% of progress and receive error:
"Error 1305: Error reading from file:
D:\PFiles\MSOffice\Office\1033\MSOWCVBA.CHM
Verify that the file exists and that you can access it"

1) I can browse to the file by Exploring CD.
2) I used this media to recently install on other PC (shouldn't be dirty CD, etc)
3) tried to install from a different CD... same error, same place.
4) searched through Microsoft KB & found article #321339
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321339
5) Now that it looks like it is a problem with the CD-ROM driver/settings... looked at hp.com web site for new drivers but none available.
6) now trying to access DVD/CDRW-ROM settings w/in winXP & change... but having difficulties so far following the KB articles.

Has anyone tried to change CD-ROM Cache settings in winXPP?

thnx.

You can always try copying the cdrom contents to the hard drive (create a folder) and then run setup from there.

tried copying files to HD for local install

1) copying files to HD 'hangs' on the same 'MSOWCVBA.CHM' file, and then finally errors out.
"Cannot copy MSOWCVBA.CHM: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" after abt 10 min.

2) tried copying groups of files, but same result.
3) tried with 3rd different Office 2000 Pro CD, same result

4) downloading diagnostic tools from HP's website... but CD-ROM checks came up clean.

looks like the only solutions will be to 'fiddle' with the CD-ROM. Anyone ever seen anything similar?
Maybe I should just DEL the CD-ROM in device manager and try re-install with default driver.

C

You said you used the cd to install on another computer. What I'd suggest then is to temporarly swap cd rom drives on the computers, cd roms aren't hard to take out and add to computers.

Or!!!!! Copy the contents of the CD on the other computer and copy them across your network. I have a storage server that I store many application cd contents on and I install from it (Has 640 gig of space). I've done it with office many times so it shouldn't be a problem.

LNCPapa

Sorry I didn't clarify earlier...

Compaq Evo = laptop, so switching out CD-ROMs isn't going to be an option.

Copying CD contents to a network drive, or installing Office from a networked (server) CD-ROM drive is a good direction.

C

k, had to un-install Norton Internet Security, because it was preventing access to my win2k domain (probablly could have configured it, but didn't have time to tweak).

Was able to sucessfully install office2000 via network server CD-ROM.
Thanks for your help!

C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back