DVD-RW drive and language issues with drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I live in Japan and recently purchased a dvd-rw drive (Iodata DVR-UM16A external model). It seems to be based on the Panasonic SW-9585 drive.).

It came with a Japanese setup DVD. My OS is English and it would not run.

Where can I get English drivers? I think I need the DLA drivers. I checked the English iodata site and they do not offer the software for download.

My computer recognizes the drive through PnP as Mat****a sw-9585, but I cannot access the drive.

I tried installing the drivers off of my working dvd drive but they seem to be language specific. They appear in a subdirectory under drivers in the /Japanese folder. And the drivers also seem to add menu items in Japanese to the tool tip (copy to dvd-rw, write these files to dvd...etc) This is what I see on my Japanese os version.

In addition when I search for drivers to update and put in the location on the dvd windows cannot find any.

I would rather not have to buy software to get the hardware I paid for to work!

If there are any other work arounds I would appreciate that too.

Cheers

Nope it is a usb2.0 connection.

From what I found I think it needs a DLA (drive letter access) driver? file?. This lets windows access the cd or dvd drive like any other permitting drag and drop file copying.

So far unless I install the dvd drivers (that what the menu says in Japanese) it will not work (drive not accessable). I had the same problem with Japanese laptop until I installed the drivers.

The hitch is that the japanese drivers will not work with my English OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back