Dvdrw fitting questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fimbles

A freind of mine recently purchased an internal dvdrw drive for his pc, i offered to fit it for him but im having a little trouble.. after fitting the drive, he now has a dvd rom drive and a dvd rw drive. i set the jumpers to master on one and slave on the other plugged them in and they seem to work fine.. until.. i tried to play a dvd.. the disk does not show up as a dvd.. just files.. i set autoplay to open dvds with media player and this seemed to work only to discover its transferred the problem to the other drive??? im confused.. any help would be ace!!

Hi i'm confused does the dvd actually play ok in the drive you set to autoplay with media player?

is this problem only with that one dvd? and what happens when you set the second drive to autoplay with media player? is the DVD a copy?

ty for the speedy reply..

Now neither drive will auto play anything.. though when you click on them and hit explore the files are there( eg music files) and they play fine.. just not auto matically.. ive changed the properties for auto play so everything should open..

Ive went to bios and auto detected my drives.. everything appears fine in device manager..

do i have them wired up correctly??

dvdrw: jumper at master
Dvdrom: jumper at slave

Both on the same ide cable..

do i need to do anything else??

After redecting my drives in bios.. they were both listed as cdrom,, auto has turned them both to dvd rom.. now as a result the contents off my disks appear on my drives.. yet after removing the disks they appear to be still in them!! :O

confused

Hi, I think you done everything ok (master drive is on the end of ide cable)

so do i take it that media player opens and the disks play?

Try restoring the autoplay options for each drive to Default and when the autoplay box appears then select media player.

Either -

1.My Computer.
2 Right-click the drive you want.
3.Select properties, and click on the "auto play" tab.
4.Use the pull-down menu to select "music files," "music CD," etc, and
select the action to perform.

Or - Autoplay repair tool

ty for the replies..

ill try to be as detailed as possible.

After going to device manager and uninstalling both my drives, then reinstalling them. they appear in my computer as cdroms. not dvd rom. the option to autoplay dvd video is not there. all other autoplay (music/ mixed/audio) have been set to their corresponding media players.
However , if a audio cd is inserted. it does not auto start with media player as told, but rather just opens a new window titled audio cd, with the contents of the cd(files currently on cd). double left clicking on them plays them with media player as normal..

I have been to bios and autodetected my drives they were both listed as cdrom, after autodetection they are listed as dvdrom.

After this however though both drives appear as dvdrom in my computer, and the autoplay dvd option appears, Nothing will auto play, plus even after ejecting the disk it appears to stay in the drive on my computer.. this freezes the drive up and gives me endless "drive not ready" messages.

Most annoying..

So i have 2 cdrom drives that wont auto play anything.. but will manually..they even recognise dvds.. but must be played manually..

I know it sounds like iim being lazy with all the "manually" stuff. but the pc is not for me.. its my freinds 1st pc.. and i dont relish telling him to right click on drive e, double left click video ts.. ect just to watch a dvd.. hes baffled enough already:)

Did you try the autoplay repair tool.?

It would be nice to know whether it actually does
anything useful,or not,for future reference.

pcaceit said:
Hi, I think you done everything ok (master drive is on the end of ide cable)

so do i take it that media player opens and the disks play?

Try restoring the autoplay options for each drive to Default and when the autoplay box appears then select media player.

As you said in your first post that you setup autoplay to play dvd's,
(video files actually, so it will attempt to autoplay the video formats selected from the options in media player)
i just assumed you would have seen the "Restore defaults" button at the bottom of the Drive properties box you opened.

Not too difficult as you already know how to open the Drive properties box, one click on that restore defaults button might have done the same as the tool you downloaded.

The Autoplay dialogue box i mentioned should come up when you insert a Disk. simple double click on the program you want to open the disk will do just that.

Note: The last media you inserted into DVD/CD drives sometimes stays on the drive Icon until you insert a different disc, reopen explorer, logoff and logon again or restart your system. Just a glitch with the refresh i think?

so nothing to worry unless it stays permantly displaying the wrong type of drive.

Have you installed any DVD burning software?

and as far as Autoplay goes......savvy computer users DISABLE autoplay. because the autoplay feature is the preffered method of companies that want to install rootkits and other nasty malware on your system. these programs install themselves via autoplay.

Thank you for all your replies..

Unfortunatley, nothing i tried could get my pc to autoplay anything.. from reseting defaults, to repair tools, to setting each auto play up separately.. nothing.. nada...

In the end i was forced to make a full shop bought system restore. this has seemed to do the trick. autoplay now functions well..

However i still have 1 minor niggle.. even though i have 2 dvd rom drives fitted.. and they both burn and read dvds well.. the first reads in "my computer" as a dvdrw.. which it is, but the second still shows up as a cd rom??? Other than that all is well!

Ty for the adware/ spyware/ autoplay tip.. i will use that on my own pc now.. i could not on the pc with probs because its for a computer virgin friend!

SO they are both DVD burners? I thought one of them was just a ROm. if they are both burners it could be they simply dont want to play nice together. most DVD Burners want to be master on a setup, and some brands may have conflicts when on a cable with another burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back