DX 9, and Cat 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

Has anybody had any problems with DX9 and Cat 3.0 drivers? I have a new Gateway 700XL, Windows XP, P4 3.06, ATI 9700 Pro card and everything was fine with DX 8.1 and CAT 2.5. Downloaded the new stuff and now some games stutter badly and some don't run at all. Did a system roll back and still had problems. Finally did a full system restore.

Strange, I've not noticed any problems so far...

Did you completely remove the Cat 2.5's, or did you just install over?

And what is your basic and advanced SmartGart settings?
(display properties/settings/advance/smartgart)
(start/run/smartgart)

If you can post your results from both of those places, it'd be nice...

I don't know what SmartGart was then but now that I reinstalled DX 8.1 and Cat 2.5, AGP Speed is 4X and Fast Write is on. I assume it was probably the same before, although I really don't remember. The two games that I really had problems with were Return to Castle Wolfenstein and SOF II. The game menu for both games would freeze for 4 or 5 seconds and the my mouse pointer would be free for half second. I finally got RTCW started and it ran for a while and then froze up. Menu was the same for SOF II, but the game ran very choppy even with all the video options set very low. Before the upgrades, (and now), I ran all video settings at max and resolution at 1280 x 1024 and everything ran fine.

I've seen on other forums, people with the very same problem.

Maybe this would help...

Move the hardware acceleration slider one click back from max (You shouldn't see any difference)
This has helped quite a few ppl to get Q3/SOF2/(insert q3 based game here) running perfectly...

If you have SP1 installed, there should be no difference, if not you might see a little performance drop (not much though)... But if you don't have SP1 installed, you shouldn't see any problems...

There is something strange with DX9, CAT3 and SP1 in XP... Don't ask me what, or why though, as I'm happily running W2k :)

Hope this helps!
If not, you could try to copy some files from CAT 2.5, but we'll save that as an option to try later on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back