E-mail not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a real common error using outlook xp
sending and receiving reported error (0x800ccc0f) the connection to the server was interrupted. I use verizon dsl and they have checked all outlook settings. I have a third party mail server i pop . I can send mail but not receive. the mail accounts work using web based connection . and the desktop system when moved to another office e-mail works fine. it is just this office. nothing has changed just moved some systems around.
any ideas

Try to length the 'Server timeout bar ' on the advanced property page for that mail account .
Are you on a Lan behind a router /or a managed Server?

I had this problem once, all I needed to do was restart the modem and my computer. Somehow something got screwed up in the modem. That should take care of it.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

tried it all

I have reset modem/router connected system directly into the dsl modem, changed the smtp server to outgoing.verizon.net with username and password. None of the systems in this office will log onto the pop3 server.
but when I move the very same desktop to another office 20 miles down the road.............. E-mail works fine.. I have talked to verizon.. I have talked to the e-mail server tech support.. I removed all virus scan software.. I have run out of ideas. If I did not take system to another office I would say it could be operator error.. NOT!
noone seems to know why it will not pop the server..
please help

Does the Verizon server have SSL or "Requires authorization in the property setting? These settings often have unusual port numbers. What is the Port? You may have a firewall Harware/software that is expecting standard Outlook Express setting.
Find out if the Verizon server demands a STARTLs file in the logon procedure.

experiencing same problem

I am experiencing the same issue with verizon dsl. I am using a non-verizon POP server, and I am unable to receive messages using any POP client, including Outlook Express, Netscape, and Mozilla thunderbird 1.0.

We also have tried everything under the sun, from disabling of antivirus software to trying many variations of config settings. Oddly, the incoming email did work for a couple days, but then stopped. The error messages are different in mozilla and Outlook Express, but the effect is the same. Unable to download messages from the server.

I am also able to download messages when using a different machine connected via a cable modem in a different location, so that rules an issue with the POP server. Luckily we are able to use a web interface to get at the same POP accounts, so this is not preventing use from using our mail.

If anyone finds a solution to this problem please let me (us) know!

Some ISP have started using some protective software that forces other private domain email accounts to use the ISP's outgoing secure servers.
The answer for me is to use the server settings for my Isp email account in my domain account.
Let us know if this helps.

are you talking about outgoing?

The fix you describe would be applicable if I was having difficulty sending messages via SMTP, but this is not the case. I am already using the ISP's outgoing SMTP server w/out any issues.

I am having difficulty receiving messages via POP3.

Perhaps I have misunderstood your advice.

Thanks

I was really trying to find out if you had received any specific information from your ISP.
Mine actually cut off the email from my domain email, they claimed their protective software was designed to control spam .(I do not believe them)Anyway the point is ,I could not understand how I could receive\send mail on my dial-up account to my portable ,yet not my Desktop behind a Lan.They explained that the block was address specific not machine .They also had me change the default port settings in Outlook.
Not knowing how you are setup to the Internet I thought you need to get some particulars from them.
Hope this is clearer! Let us know how it works out.

norton email scan was the prob

i was troubleshooting this problem remotely for family.

once i got on the machine today in I was able to quickly verify that the problem was, in fact, norton email scanning. disabling this solved the problem.

thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back