E6300 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

codez13579

I have an old P4C Northwood @ 3.0 ghz. I c that new CPUs have Ghz numbers well below my Ghz. Take for example the E6300, standard it is around 1.86 (i think). Can someone explain this to me?

REMEMBER I AM A NEWBIE TO THIS PC WORLD.

thanks in advance

The new Core 2 Duo's use a completely different architecure than the old Prescott's and Northwood's. This new setup allows the chip to be faster even though the clock speed is lower. AMD has been doing this for a long time. They 'name' their chips with the equilivent intel speed. An old AMD Athlon XP 3000+ would (theoreticaly) run as fast as your P4, but at a much lower clock speed.

if the clock speed dont make a cpu faster, what makes a processor fast? i was under the impression that people "overclock" their cpu to make the processor faster. idk, still lost here.. Also who has the fasts processor AMD or Intel.

It's the internal architecture that determines the "speed" of a processor. The faster the CPU core can encode and decode information and pass this information to the peripherals of a PC, the "faster" it is. For example, the latest Core 2 Duos can encode a 700MB video much faster than your Pentium 4 or any AMD for that matter. So they are the best processors out there as of now.
For ur other query, OCing (OverClocking) is usually done in order to squeeze more power out of a particular processor by manually changing settings in the motherboard's BIOS to either up the bus speeds or the CPU's frequency. However, common side-effects of this include increased heat output due to the extra pressure on the CPU core and increased power consumption. Most OCers use third-party coolers on their CPU/GPU (yes video cards can be overclocked too, although to a lesser extent than processors) to remedy the heat output and an extra/new PSU (Power Supply Unit) may or may not be needed depending on the quality and wattage of ur current one. Depending on the type of processor and the extent of the OC, you may or may not need a third-party cooler. A Core 2 Duo E6300 can be easily overclocked by an extra 800MHz without needing extra cooling of any kind and also increasing performance by quite a large margin. Keep in mind though that OCing potentially lowers the life of a component if not done properly and this is especially true of video cards. So only overclock when u r sure u have all the bases covered i.e. u have sufficient cooling installed, have a PSU adequate enough for the OCing and know the extent to which the component in question can be OCed.

Take a look at this article, it should explain the architecture difference between the older Intel and new C2D chips. Right now the X6800 Core 2 Duo is the fastest desktop chip on the market.

there are two things cpu's are referred to which is being the better one: clock speed and performance, and cpu's these days are rated from performance first then its speed in terms of comparison..

don't forget that the core2 duo is also dual core/cpu so it has 2 of them.. some people could [incorrectly] compare the clock speed as being 2x the cpu to bring it in line with the pentium's numbers.. eg: 2x1.86=2.18ghz.... which although truly incorrect (and mostly underestimated due to technology differences) does give you a rough idea of what it is..

feel free to correct me :D

Core 2 is based off the older p3. Netburst(P4) has very little in common with the older designs. The P3 has a short pipeline and strong FPU like Athlons do. The short pipline will lessen the amount of work lost when branch predictions are wrong. The P4 needs much higher clocks to perform with Athlons.

Core 2 is not just a new P3 though. The P3 had lived on as the Pentium M and has always been close clock-to-clock with the Athlons. Many more improvements have been added now. Most importantly is the Wide Dynamic Execution, replacing the three issue wide cores of the past with a four issue wide core. This alone gives most of the performance advantage. Shared cache and Smart memory access also add to the number of instructions that can be executed per clock (IPC.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back