eBay's new smartphone trade-in program offers instant gratification

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: eBay's Instant Selling program is a viable alternative to traditional trade-in programs as it offers instant gratification and respectable values, but only if you're alright with receiving a voucher that can only be used for future eBay purchases.

eBay on Monday launched a hassle-free way for consumers to offload their old smartphone. It’s called eBay Instant Selling and the entire process takes just a matter of minutes.

Instant Selling currently accepts a range of newer devices including Samsung Galaxy S7 to S9+ handsets as well as iPhone 6S through iPhone X devices from AT&T and Verizon (and unlocked devices). Support for Sprint, T-Mobile, Google Pixel and select LG phones will be added in November, we’re told.

To see how much your device is worth, head over to eBay’s new landing page. You’ll be asked to select your handset model, carrier, capacity, color and condition before being presented with an offer. You’ll also need to upload photos of the device before accepting an offer.

If you accept an offer for your device, you’ll receive an instant voucher that can be used to purchase other items on eBay.

eBay offered a similar service, dubbed Instant Sale, years ago but discontinued it in 2013 in order to develop more simplified and personalized selling experiences. These days, however, the smartphone industry is far more lucrative. eBay believes it can grab a slice of the market by appealing to those seeking instant gratification although limiting its payouts to vouchers that can only be used to buy other things on eBay will certainly limit its reach, even if the program does offer a higher return than competing trade-in offers.

Permalink to story.

I'm done with contracts so I'll probably end up buying a used phone on Ebay anyway. This sounds promising, assuming it doesn't come with a stack of absurd limitations.

Local Craig's list or offerup usually gives the best results. However, lately I have seen samsung offer promotional buyouts,if you wanna update from their inventory. Very reasonably offers, if you wanns buy a new overpriced devices. But then going back to craigs list, you get best price from people and you get best money for your phone from people. Watch out for operators's buy one get one free, I have seen prices going down a bit during those times.

Back