ECS KM400-M2 Mobo Not Functioning Properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem I am having is that when Windows is loaded, and I do a couple of benchmarks, it shows that my PC is running slower than what it is supposed to perform at. Example:

My Setup: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ FSB333, Kingston 1gig PC2700 RAM
Benchmark Results: Performs as AMD Athlon XP 2000+, PC2100 RAM.

Also, When the PC is on, theres a faint screeching noise coming from the CPU. Now, i know the CPU and RAM are fine because they worked like a charm on a previous setup. Also, I know that the jumpers are set correctly for 166. What could be making my PC run so slowely??

To start with, your motherboard is a PoS, but you probably know that already.
Then, the real spead of an XP3000 is only 2100/2167 MHz!
You also need to replace the fan on your CPU-cooler, or at least clean all the dust out of it.

There are 2 versions of XP3000 (see below). You probably run the wrong version for that mobo.

If you're using a board only capable of a 166MHz frontside bus speed and lower, make sure you're not getting the FSB400/200MHz model.

Barton 166MHz FSB: AXDA3000DKV4D. 2167MHz (166x13.0). 1.65v.
Barton 200MHz FSB: AXDA3000DKV4E. 2100MHz (200x10.5). 1.65v.

Yeah, i know that the CPU runs at around 2ghz. I have a Barton 166 mhz, so thats why i bought the mobo cause it only went up to 333mhz FSB. Everything is set to 166mhz on the board and in the BIOS. Also, Ive cleaned the fan/heatsink combo so many times that ive lost count.

Ive replaced this board with Newegg once, and both boards did the same thing. Im never buying another ECS board again. I know theyre **** lol.

Which Windows version are you running? Service Packs and updates all applied?
Space left on HD?
Last chkdsk and defrag when?
If XP or W2K, Indexing service switched off (advisable)?
Clean all Temp directories for all users. Uninstall unused programs. Clean up Temp. Internet Cache.
Use Firefox instead of IE.
If you have Norton/Symantec bloatware, dump it and get AVG from http://free.grisoft.com
That should give you something to do!

well i know its not a software problem cause i installed windows 98 se with it, and it still does the same thing, and i put a different processor and 512megs of ram.

its gotta be either something in the bios, or ecs needs to make another bios update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back