EEPROM BIOS Reset Using Jumper Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have located the 24 C02 eeprom on my Inspiron 8100 MB and have used the paperclip method of shorting as described by many sources - no battery, power cord attached but power "off" until jumper attached to appropriate leads, then power "on" and F2 to get into setup when screen changes from boot screen but nothing has worked to clear the password. At this point I am ready to replace the eeprom but do not know enough about the chip to know what specifically to purchase and where. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Captboyd

with the modern provisions for password removal and BIOS resets, there is rarely a need to replace the BIOS chip. furthermore, few, if any, motherboards have a removable EEPROM unit.

when resetting the CMOS or clearing a password, always refer to the manual (available via support.dell.com) because there is not formal standard for how the BIOS must be reset, every manufacturer defines their own procedure.

dell units i have worked on in the past have required the cmos jumper to be moved to pins 2-3 and the system booted. upon power-on, the system displayed a menu that allowed me to reset the password. i cannot assure you that this is the correct procedure for your particular system, i am just using it as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back