Eletric Shock

By ScaRL ยท 4 replies
Jan 11, 2006
  1. Hello everyone :D

    i need help on my pc.
    everytime i touch the back of my pc, i'll get electric shock.
    i don't know what's wrong with it
    and i'm pretty sure that a normal pc without a problem
    wouldn't give people electric shock.

    i hope someone could give me an advice regarding my problem

    thanks :D
  2. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,128   +982

    you need a grounded connection. all recent devices come with a three prong
    male plug. the rounded pin below the parallel plugs (common USA 120v) is the

    go to your local hardware store and for 5-6 bucks, get an AC wall tester.
    it will some LED lights to tell you things like,
    ungrounded, reverse polarity, open, and OK.

    If your wall socket is two pronged, and you're using a two-to-three adaptor,
    you must be sure to use the screw to attach it to the wall.

    if all the above is correct, then you will not get a shock unless your equipment
    is NOT UL rated, or you built it yourself.
  3. booboo7

    booboo7 TS Rookie Posts: 20

    if it aitn that it coul dbe static electricity.....iv had that a couple of times from the front of my old pc :S
  4. ScaRL

    ScaRL TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

    erm. i don't think it's because of my plug or anithing. just now i plug in my webcam, and when i touch it , got shock again..
  5. derrycraig

    derrycraig TS Rookie Posts: 47

    You can buy plastic/rubber caps for the ends of the cables for the PSU, if that doesn't work you could attach a wire from the back of your computer case to the copper pipeing on the rad, this should be grounded.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...