Elon Musk says Tesla's all-electric Semi is ready to enter volume production

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In context: The Tesla Semi has a quoted range of 300 or 500 miles depending on the configuration and starts at $150,000 and $180,000, respectively. Major companies including Walmart, UPS, FedEx and Anheuser-Busch have already placed orders.

Tesla is ready to send its electric big rig into volume production.

CEO Elon Musk in an internal memo obtained by CNBC said it’s time to go all out and bring the Tesla Semi to volume production. The truck has seen limited production thus far, Musk added, which has allowed them to improve many aspects of the design.

Tesla’s founder additionally said production of the battery and powertrain would take place at the company’s Gigafactory in Nevada. Most of the other work on the Semi would probably happen in other states, Musk noted.

In an exchange on Twitter, Musk confirmed that the leaked memo was legitimate.

Tesla unveiled its electric Semi in late 2017. According to the company’s website, it features four independent motors on the rear axles that collectively consume less than 2 kWh per mile. In terms of acceleration, it can hit 60 mph from a standstill in around 20 seconds with a full 80,000-pound load. Without a trailer, it can do so in just five seconds.

Permalink to story.

So happy to finally be able to sell at $1000. I knew the Model 3 and Y were gonna do the real stock movements for Tesla.
Are you planning on reinvesting the money in other equities? I'm interested to hear what if so! Right around now is probably the best time to sell considering Q2 is probably going to be crap for Tesla and it's now close to the end of the quarter where numbers will be reported.

I wouldn't be selling everything, but I do want to further diversify given that my position in Tesla has grown to become over 2/3 of my portfolio.

Very good news, thanks for posting.
Love Musk, gotta keep pushing forward, even with monkey's fighting over made up rights.

Are you planning on reinvesting the money in other equities? I'm interested to hear what if so! Right around now is probably the best time to sell considering Q2 is probably going to be crap for Tesla and it's now close to the end of the quarter where numbers will be reported.

I wouldn't be selling everything, but I do want to further diversify given that my position in Tesla has grown to become over 2/3 of my portfolio.
I would suggest you look down-stream. Rather than invest in Tesla, invest in lithium, for example. That way, you bet on the industry, rather than the company.Tesla is the unchallenged king of EVs right now because none of the established players are even attempting to challenge them. That will change in the next year or two and I do no not think that Tesla will be able to keep up - only because the manufacturing capabilities of Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, and Ford greatly outstrip that of Tesla in North America (never mind globally).

I don't think Tesla will fail outright as a company, but I do not think they will remain in the consumer EV market once the established players enter it in full force. Instead, I am betting they begin to offer their technology to the established companies as a supplier. Tesla won't be competing with Toyota, they'll be competing with Bosch (who has been largely ignoring the EV market) in the near future.

Back