Emachine stops booting Error message Corrupt file

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very frustrating. Its my neighbors computer and she only uses it for Email. She never surfs the net. Its an Emachine model T3302 just a week out of her warranty too.

Here is the message I get.

Windows could not start because the following file is Missing or Corrupt:
windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start the Repair.

Well I have done this now 4 times. I hit r while its on the above message and then it goes to the first boot up where you can choose boot menu or bios setup. It then proceeds to another boot screen and thats where you hit f-11 to get to a recovery. Then another screen opens that is a Emachine system recovery. You then have 2 options. Full system Restore (destructive) or Full system Restore with back up. I have done both of these.
No recovery disk is needed. It then all comes back and
The computer will run for maybe a day and then we are back to the same old problem. Seems that when you do this recovery it uses files that are on the hard drive so I seem to be running a cycle here.

If you put the recovery disk in that comes with the machine when I have the Error message of the Corrupt file it does nothing and just proceeds to the Recovery they have loaded onto the system.

How can I boot from the Recovery disk they give you with the computer? Do I need to get it up and running and then boot from Windows with the recovery disk by doing a restart while the recovery disk is in?
The info on the Disc says to close all programs insert disk and restart your computer.

How can I fix this corrupt file??? Whats the best way?

Currently I have brought the system back to life again. But its only a matter of time before we get the corrupt file again.
I'm not sure why the file got corrupt or what if any hardware or software may be causing it.
I'm open to all thoughts.

Thanks for any and all help and I know my neighbor thanks you too.

Very interesting. I have had suspsions of a power problem because I see the screen flicker.

How can I find out what PSU I need to buy? I have never opened up an Emachine. Is it easy to replace the PSU in Emachines?

I just went back and looked at the machines specs and it has a 300 watt. Would it be better if I put something a little larger in it or would be over kill?? DO you know what it entails to change the PSU in the Emachine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back