emachine video upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Emachines T-2200. I've had it for about 2 years with no trouble untl I loaded a game that needed 3D graphic. I have aPNY GeForce 6600 GT I want to install but when I do the system frezzes up. It won't even perform a POST. Antone have an idea what's up?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

First likely suspect is your PSU. It may not be up to the task of powering a newer graphics card. Look at the sticker attached to your PSU. How many watts is it? How many amps on the +12v rail?

Another possibility is that you didn't connect the power cord from your PSU to the graphics card (if it needs one - some do and some don't).

sorry for the incomplete info. I knew the PSU needed replacing and already installed one with 400 watts. And yes I did hook up the power to the card

What were you using before you bought the 6600gt? Onboard? Some other card?

If you were using onboard, you may need to go into your bios to disable the onboard graphics (or even possible set a jumper on your motherboard). Check your user's manual on how to do this.

If you were using another card before, did you uninstall it's drivers before installing the new card?

One quick way to determine whether or not it's the card that's causing the issue is to try and boot up with another AGP card in the slot.

Disabling on-board would be the first thing I'd do too though :)

Did you uninstall the old video drivers before installing the new card? If not, take out the AGP card and boot onto Windows. Then uninstall the old drivers. Are you using the newest drivers from nVidia? The drivers that come with video cards are usually very out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back