eMachine won't do anything >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an eMachine T2082. It started out not showing any video on the moniter but would boot fine. I didn't have time to tend to it at the moment and left it be for about two days. When I had time and went to see what was wrong, it wouldn't boot at all. When you push the power button, nothing at all happens. I know the video problem was not virus related as this computer is not connected to the net. It is only used for video capturing and editing. I think it may be the powersupply, but would it have gone out the way it did if it is. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, specs as follows:
XP Home
AMD Athlon 2000+
256 MB
80 gig
S3 ProSavage8 onboard video
150 watt powersupply

I've had to replace many power supplies in eMachines, mostly the small form factor but the "standard" sized ones as well. I think you would be farther ahead replacing the power supply - they are not very expensive and a 300w would give you all the power you need and allow for expansion.
They are easy to install.
If it is a small form factor you may need to get an OEM. Hopefully not.

Good luck!

I just got in the new power supply and installed it. The computer now boots. Yay! However, there is still no video. Could the power supply going out have damaged the on board video?

Sorry if I don't reply quickly. I am immersed, well over my head, in a network replacement and setup for my company - a real headache generator!

Aside from my woes....

Be sure everything is properly seated, plugged in turned on, etc.

I suppose it is possible to damage the on board graphics but I don't know of that being typical. At least I haven't experienced it.

If everything is connected and turned on try a different monitor to rule that out. If the monitor is good it may indeed be the graphics chip. Do you know anyone who might have a video card laying around that you could borrow?

Does the computer sound normal when it starts? Single beep? Multiple beeps? Hard drive spinning?

Monton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back