Emachines psu blew. Replaced psu but it won`t start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a emachine for my brother. I put a new Power supply on, because the old one was fried. Now the cpu fan turns, but that is about it. I am afaid that something on the MB is fried. I am getting no beeps. I have an electronics degree, but that was 12 years ago. I know that the capacitors pop easy, but i am not seeing any bunrn marks or bulging. I have a multi-meter, but do not remember how the should test. Any ideas?
Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have moved your post to it`s own thread, rather than leaving it in a thread that`s over a year old.

What you describe seems to be a very common problem with emachines.

The psu blows and unfortunately takes the mobo and/or other components with it.

Take a look HERE and HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Chffan:

I'm in a similar situation. The PSU on a friend's EMachine blew. After replacing the PSU, the machine wouldn't boot - no POST, but the fans worked. At everyone's advice here, I replaced the MBO with a MSI PM8M-V Socket 478 MBO. I still am not getting any POST beeps, but I see that the CDRW and DVD lights are flickering - Power is getting to the board.

Any other suggestions as to what I've done wrong....

Keith

It is so important to make sure the replacement motherboard will accept the old CPU, and memory. Items like modems, sound and video cards could be damaged by the faulty power supply too

Spoelker said:
Chffan:

I'm in a similar situation. The PSU on a friend's EMachine blew. After replacing the PSU, the machine wouldn't boot - no POST, but the fans worked. At everyone's advice here, I replaced the MBO with a MSI PM8M-V Socket 478 MBO. I still am not getting any POST beeps, but I see that the CDRW and DVD lights are flickering - Power is getting to the board.

Any other suggestions as to what I've done wrong....

Keith

If you have any old cards from the Emachines remove them and see if the motherboard posts. If it does, install the cards one at a time until you have post errors again. Also make sure that the motherboard is properly installed and not shorting to the case. Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

I have reset the CMOS. The only card that I was using from the old machine was the modem. Still no POST after removing the modem and resetting the CMOS. Could the CPU be zapped as well?

As an update - the HD is spinning

I've looked around for any obvious shorts. Where a some less obvious spots for shorts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back