EMachines T1220 video card install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Perhaps you can help me.

A while ago, a few friends of mine got new computers, and gave me their old ones. So I've cobbled together a fairly decent little computer using an eMachines T1220 (Celeron @ 1.6GHz or so) as a base. My only issue with it was that it was seriously lacking in the video department, so I jumped on Tiger Direct earlier this week and got a Diablotek ATi Radeon 9000 PCI 64MB video card. It came last night, so I tore into the computer and popped it in.

At first, things went as I thought they should. Windows (2000) screamed for new drivers, I told it to keep its pants on, then ran the driver install from the accompanying CD. Install finished fine, then I clicked the reboot button, and... darkness. It's been doing the same thing since then - I start it up, the thing beeps a morse code "d" at me (-..), and nothing shows up, regardless of whether I plug the monitor into the video card or the onboard video port.

To get anything to show up, I have to take the new card out, so when I go to the bios to disable the onboard video, it doesn't give me the option to do so. Same story no matter which of the 3 PCI slots I put the thing in. The power supply is 250W, though I'm not sure if that even matters, since I don't need to plug any extra power into the card.

I know I can do much better than an eMachine, but I'm not looking to have a beast of a gaming PC - I just want something I can do some homework (digital art) on and maybe play some FlyFF, too (that, and I don't have all that much cash to spend). I'm pretty sure the card should work and that it's just a matter of persuasion, but if you find out otherwise, please let me know so I can return the card. Any help would be awesome.

Ive known some new agp cards wont run in older machines something to do the voltage, i didnt know of any problems with pci cards though.

What actually happens when you take the card out, can you get the computer to boot up then?

Yeah. I take the card out, then it boots up just fine.

Also, when I have the card in, I only have to poke the power button once to make it shut down. Normally I have to hold it for 10 or so seconds. (Just trying to give as many details as possible, just in case something tiny turns out to be relevant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back