Emachines T2596 motherboard replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( i'm new to hardware replacement and the motherboard on my emachines failed. how do i figure out exactly what i need for replacement? current mother board has 2.5 ghz celeron processor. any advice would be great.

Welcome to techspot.
Your system should have a socket 478 intel processor and ddr memory.
Your system likely uses a micro atx board, as many prebuilt systems do.
Here's a board that should be compatible with your current parts.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128222

I've used this board, and think it's pretty nice. It should be much better than your current one though, as it supports cpus with up to a 800mhz fsb, including prescott cores and cpus with intel's ht tech(your celeron is a 400fsb), ddr memory up to pc3200 speed, (your ram is pc2100), and it also has an agp slot, so if you'd ever need faster video(for gaming etc), you can add in a graphics card. The board also has integrated graphics like your current board, so you wouldn't need to buy a graphics card if you don't want the extra expense.

The hardest part of replacing the board though will be getting the new motherboard connected to the pc case you have, specifically the power button, usb, and leds. I'm not exactly sure how your pc case is setup, but it likely can be connected to the motherboard. You probably will want to/have to reinstall windows after the replacement, since the motherboard is different. It might be possible to do a repair install of xp and keep your data intact.

If you want an exact replacement board, try searching ebay for your pc's model number and "motherboard".

Hope this helps.

Checked eBay but nothing available

thanks a bunch for the information and the board link. i checked it out and may buy this one. it does look a little different from the one that is in the machine currently bust seems to be a much better board than the original. about the suggestion for the graphics card...I've heard that an AMD processor is better than a Celeron for games. i do have a graphics card someone bought for me that i might try in this machine. does it make that much difference? i don't play a bunch of games, mostly NASCAR stuff and hockey. anyhow, I'll post the results of whatever i do with this machine in case you're curious. thanks again.

I wasn't 100% sure you have a matx board, but you can check, if you have 4 expansion slots(or sometimes 3), then it likely is matx, but if you have 6-7, then it's atx.
Matx will fit in either atx or micro atx cases, so it's a "safe bet" unless emachine used a "proprietary" motherboard, that isn't a normal format.

Amds are faster than intels for games(generally, of comparable speed cpus), but to get a amd cpu, you'll need a amd cpu and an amd compatible motherboard. That means you'll spend at least $160(the cost of an athlon 64 3200+ 939) more than if you'd reuse your current cpu. A celeron isn't a very fast cpu, and not the best for games though.

A graphics card can make a huge difference. The integrated intel graphics the emachine has are some of the slowest graphics around, most recent add in graphics cards are much faster. Do you know what graphics card you have, and what slot type it uses (agp, pci, pci-e)?

If you need any help when you do this, I'd be glad to answer your questions. You probably will need some thermal grease to put on the cpu, because when you remove it from the current board, it will break the interface between the cpu and the heatsink. Artic silver 5 is good grease. Be sure to clean the cpu and heatsink good with rubbing alcohol on a piece of material before applying the new grease, and don't use much grease, like a grain of rice sized amount.

If you would want a new amd motherboard and cpu, you could get something like this.
Board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138264
Cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535
It also has built in graphics, but has a pci express x16 slot instead of an agp slot like the board that would work with your current cpu(celeron). Pci-express is newer than agp.

3 expansion slots, Sound Blaster card

There are only 3 expansion slots in this machine. So I guess Micro? I was wrong about the card, it is for Audio improvement apparently? It's a Sound Blaster 16 PCI 4.1 and lists minimum requirements as AMD-K5 133 MHz or faster processor. Is it difficult to replace the motherboard? Can I find the grease locally at a computer store?

I really appreciate all your help!

Restore CD may not work?

I've been told that the Windows XP restore CD I have may not work with a different motherboard thatn an eMachines MB. Is this common?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back