EMachines T5026 upgrade suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having read the stickies I am looking for a PSU recommendation. I would also like to upgrade my RAM and am seeking a recommendation for that as well. Newegg will be my source for both unless I'm directed elsewhere.

Currently I have the stock 2 sticks of 256MB and have 2 slots open. 4GB is the max. capacity for this unit. The sticky I read leaves me wondering how far I should go with this. I am led to believe that DDR-333 (PC2700) would work for me.

I've only taken my case off once to vacuum out the dust bunnies. Never the less I believe I can manage to do this much on my own. This is my first computer (3 years old now) and I've yet to approach it's capabilities. I am still a novice. Thanks.

$200 USD. I could go higher but this seems like a reasonable amount of money to spend to upgrade this computer.

it depends what you really want to upgrade it for really.

Gaming? Just a bit of extra speed? Either way the RAM upgrade you can't go wrong with, it's cheap and very effective. As for a PSU, the higher the wattage the better is a general rule of thumb. And as you have an Emac I'm surprised the PSU lasted 3 years in honesty (I'd replace it even if I didn't want to upgrade).

I'm no expert of specific parts at the end of the day it's what your motherboard will support. But no doubt plenty of other member will throw in there 2 cents. :D

I'm not much better with computers, assuming your OS (operating system) is XP getting another 512MB of RAM would be perfect, and it's easy to fit and cheap.

As for you're PSU if it's doing its job then there is no real need to replace it, unless of course you're considering a new graphics card or overclocking ect.

There is a sticky in this forum regarding eMachines PSU's that strongly recommends replacing them. As with the memory I was hoping to get a manufacturer recommendation, maybe even a link where I could actually buy the items.

Yes PSU in Emachines (along with most of the other components) are of poor quality and if the PSU goes it normally takes the motherboard with it.

But yours has last 3 years with no trouble so I see no reason but a basic 400W PSU replacement wouldn't hurt and it shouldn't cost too much either.

Replace the psu asap. I am one of the people that made a post about the poor quality of emachine psu's. I got given 3 of them. 2 were beyond repair because of psu failure. The 3rd also had a failed psu but the rest of the components had survived somehow so i put a new psu in it and it works fine to this day.

My advice is to spend as much as you can afford on a decent quality psu, and not a cheap one.

Rik said:
Replace the psu asap. I am one of the people that made a post about the poor quality of emachine psu's. I got given 3 of them. 2 were beyond repair because of psu failure. The 3rd also had a failed psu but the rest of the components had survived somehow so i put a new psu in it and it works fine to this day.

My advice is to spend as much as you can afford on a decent quality psu, and not a cheap one.

Hi Rik,

I appreciate the helpful posts regarding the eMachines PSU's. Now it's just a matter of which one to buy based on performance and reliability for the T5026. That is the area I need help in. Same goes for the RAM upgrade. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with that particular model but it's most likely a standard atx form factor so any good atx form factor psu should be fine. You don't need to spend silly money on one, just don't go for seriously cheap.

350watts and up should be fine. I usually tell my friends to spend no less than £30 on a psu of that spec which would be about $50 ish roughly.

If you spot any psu's that catch your eye i will be happy to take a look at any links you post about them.

What I have found out

The T5026's PSU has "over voltage"? protection and is 300 watts making it less likely to blow and when it does, it doesn't take the mother board with it.
My source for this is:

http://www.dexplor.com/phpBB2/index.php

They still recommend replacing the PSU and list a few options. I thought others here might find this info useful so I posted it. Nearly all of this is over my head so it's going to take me some time to decipher the info.

Thanks for the replies,
Alex

Thanks Rik. Do you have any thoughts on Kingston or PNY memory? They are both on sale for about $70/gig around here. I would be getting 2 sticks to add to a couple of 256Mb sticks in my computer.

Alex, get 2GIG of mem. u will think u have a new machine. and yes either brand would be fine if they are compatible with u're machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back