Enabling 3rd and 4th mouse buttons without drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
Oh yeah, this is an odd question, but I wouldn't have it any other way...

Stuff:

Windows XP
Diablo II LoD (latest patch)
Logitech Mouseman Cordless (latest drivers from Logitech)

I want to know if there is a way to enable the third and fourth mouse buttons via a registry hack of sorts. I don't want the mouse drivers installed.. Just straight up support from Windows' default mouse driver. Is this possible?

The reason I ask is because Diablo II LoD is having some difficulties on another PC working with the mouse wheel and the fourth button at the same time. The funny thing is, the drivers work find with my Logitech Cordless Optical. It's on or the other.. I can't use both. Here's what happens.

Drivers uninstalled:
Mouse wheel and both buttons work. Thumb button does not.
Drivers installed:
Mouse wheel does not work, but the all other buttons (including the thumb button) function properly.

I've tried many different things that were "supposed" to work... I disabled the mouseware crud.. Made sure "MS Office Compatible scoll" was unchecked. I've even done some guesswork tinkering with the logitech drivers.. Used older drivers... Played with EnableWheelDetect in the registry.. Nothing seems to work..

It's an odd problem.. And I have reason it might be due to the game itself. I'm going to reinstall it and see what happens (Because it used to work). Until then though, I was hoping someone had experience this kind of problem.

Hey... well here's what I've experienced
I have owned a Logitech Mouseman Cordless (ball) and Logitech MX500 (optical)... both plugged via PS/2 and used the MS Intellipoint software just fine... emulate each button based on the game itself... wheel worked 100% of all games I threw at it... with the Logitech software, about 60% of the games I threw at it worked with the wheel (after the gamers wheelfix)...

I've recently been forced to switch to USB but now the Intellipoint software don't work... almost like when u have the Logitech drivers uninstalled, wheel works 100% but no extra buttons... :(

so give the MS software a try if u are plugged PS/2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back