Erratic Mouse Help Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything was fine until this morning. When I fired up my laptop running XP, my mouse was behaving badly. It now double clicks on its own, refuses to move windows, and fails to drag anything including text and files. I am a massive halo fanatic and my itch to play will soon turn into a full blown psychotic episode if I can't fix it soon!! So for my comps sake (not to mention the unfortunate people around me) please help!

So far I have ran every antivirus and spyware check possible. I have even uninstalled the mouse driver to no avail. Im running XP Pro so it automatically reinstalled it for me on reboot. I have also tried scolding my naughty little mouse. I even raised my hand in an attempt to horrify it but it merely sat there unflinching! Well anyways I tried the mouse on my sisters comp and it works fine. The only thing that I did out of the ordinary last night was defrag my system before I went to bed! I cant think of any other solutions so anything anyone might suggest could help! Thank you!

Best i can do

I don't know much about laptops except a friend indicated that theres
a different mouse for laptops.Ask a Computer Dealer about this.
If its cordless it might need batteries.

Its not cordless

My laptop is a fairly new ACER Travelmate 804LMi with 4 USB ports. I have been using a regular optical USB mouse for the past 2 years. I dont think windows would wake up one morning and say "Hey! He doesnt have the right mouse! Who does he think he is?" lol jk but Im pretty sure it would have failed a long time ago if that was the case. I just thought of something though... My laptops got a touchpad that I barely use (and seems to work fine). Do you think there somekinda conflict there? Maybe a power struggle over gets the right to use my hand?

I have no idea what he is talking about a "different mouse for laptops". Have you tried to disable the touch pad in the control panel and see if that helps? Odd that it worked fine then started having this problem. Have you downloaded any new software lately? Is the battery charged on the mouse? This is an optical, not laser mouse right?

OMG! I do not believe it!

Out of the friggin blue, it started working fine! I did nothing else except what I mentioned before. Maybe all the threats made at the mouse scared the hell out of it! Im thinking that it maybe a software problem, a symptom of something more dangerous! Or It could be the ghost in the machine telling me to lay off halo for awhile.... like Ill listen! My comp has been running slow lately maybe it took it that long to load the driver? I recently added a RAM manager called RAM Idle LE. Could be the culprit? Might have been freeing the RAM it needed? I dont know... Anyways Im always adding new programs to my comp so it probably is something to do with that. I have some cleaning to do I guess! Thx for prompt advice!

simple fix, swap mice and if the new one works, the problem was with your old mouse.

If not, then you have a USB (possible) or virus issue (not likely).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back