Error caused by graphics device driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone please help me. I am running windows xp pro, with a radeon graphics card and nvidia motherboard.

My computer constantly keeps restarting and I sometimes get the dreaded blue screen. Sometimes I can be on for a minute and it will just restart, other times I can be on a bit longer. I sometimes get the error report message come up saying a serious error has occured. I then get redirected to microsoft who say that the error was caused by a graphics device driver. At the bottom of this page it says that "thread stuck in device driver"

I have tried reinstalling the devide driver with no luck. I even bought a new graphics card but it still happens. When the blue screen comes up(only occassionaly) it says that driver irql not less or equal. Sometimes the system is that bad that when restarting there is the click from the screen halfway through booting and then restarts again. I have tried changing monitors too with no luck. Am I right in saying that my RAM could be knackered. When I look in my system information under conflicts/sharing there are several items that are shared by the same addresses. Is this right?

Also, after fiddling with the system, I also now have a problem getting into safe mode. It brings up the files on screen when you click on safe mode and then freezes.
Any ideas would be brilliant

ATI won't let you link directly to downloads so, sorry this will be a bit roundabout. Go to this link

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

Click on "utilities". Then click on "Various". Then "Catalyst-ATI maintenance utilities" sigh...are we there yet? <g> Then download and run the Catalyst uninstaller utility. This will remove all traces of the drivers from your system.

After the system has been purged reboot, and try reinstalling the drivers again. Once you have downloaded the latest driver for your card, disconnect from the net, and shut down your anti-virus before you reinstall the new driver. Let me know if that works. I've had to deal with a similar ATI driver problem, and this was what worked for me.

Graphics card driver problem

I tried deleting the old ATI files. As soon as I went to reboot the system it would not boot up again.

The Windows xp screen comes up then the monitor switches off shortly afterwards just before getting to the login screen, as if the computer is not on but the computer keeps processing. Any ideas as I now cant get in at all?

Well that sucks! OK, can you get into last known good config, on the safe mode option screen? Or Safe Mode with Command Prompt? By the way what mobo do you have?

Hi Andy,
When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump. Check system event 1001 and it has the content of the blue screen

Event ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.The bugcheck was : 0xc000000a (0xe1270188, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804032100).
Microsoft Windows..... A dump was saved in: .......

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001. Copy the content and paste it back here

Zip 5 to 6 minidumps and attach the zip files at any webspace. I will study the dump and find out the culprit.

Dead

Unfortunately, I cant get into safe mode. All the system32 files show up on the screen then it just freezes. Last known good configuration doesnt work either as the same thing with the monitor happens. Looks like ill have to reload windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back