Error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

"Files that require windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. to ramain system stability, Windows must restore the original version of these files.
Insert your windows XP cd rom now."

when i use the computer, i get that message....any idea what's wrong?

sounds like you either have a virus or some sort of file corruption.

have you installed any programs lately?

If that message appeared after installing a program, then it must have overwritten one of Windows XP protected files with a different version. Whatever the case, you need to insert your Windows XP cdrom so that the original files can be replaced. You can also run 'sfc.exe /scannow' to check all your protected files for corruption. Just make sure you have your Windows XP cd in the cdrom drive when you try this. As iss says, it could also be due to file corruption or a virus. Besides the error message is simple enough, so why don't you just insert your windows cd to fix it.

no, i have not installed any programs lately, actually, it happened after a clean install of xp

the thing is, after i insert the cd, it just asks for it again...later on

run system file checker like Nic suggested. it's very odd that this would happen without some kind of virus or file corruption caused by allowing a program to overwrite files. XP usually does a pretty good job of protecting it's files.

yeah, thanks, it was a virus...it was called w32.weird, i formatted, and converted the file system, and installed norton right away, thanks

Files that require windows to run properly

I'm having the same problem with my computer, but I've never had a virus since I bought this one last year. I've always had Norton's up and running.

"Files that require windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. to ramain system stability, Windows must restore the original version of these files. Insert your windows XP cd rom now"

I have an HP bundle that did not come with the Windows XP
CD... so what do I do now? I 'll call the HP Help Center unless
you have pure advice.

Thanks,

Arnie Boich

Originally posted by iss
run system file checker like Nic suggested. it's very odd that this would happen without some kind of virus or file corruption caused by allowing a program to overwrite files. XP usually does a pretty good job of protecting it's files.

ISS, Some things that get installed actually overwrite those files on purpose and without malicious intent.

A good example is the UXTHEME patch. It is used to allow you to use visual styles for XP without a third party app. When you apply the patch you will get that error upon reboot. There are other things that will do the same thing. This is not always caused by a virus or coruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back