Error Messege when installing XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrodale

I do not know if this is in the right place. Please move it if it is not, sorry I tried :blush:

I just got a new computer for free because it wouldnt work and they couple had spent 80 dollars to get it fixed and it still was shot. I started it up and nothing would work, so I reformatted and reinstalled Windows ME and everything worked out fine. About a week later I decided I wanted to install my windows XP pro. When I tried I was told that installation could not continue due to an error with the file partmgr.sys I then tried to install Windows 2k pro (the computer was built for windows 2k pro and windows me) but still didnt work getting me the same messege. I then reloaded ME to see if it would still work and it still did.

The specs are

hp pavilion 7960
1.3 ghz pentium 4
128 mb RDRAM
40 gig Ultra DMA hard drive
nVidia TNT2 M64 graphics card w/ 32MB SDRAM

Any ideas?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Use fdisk to delete the partition then create a new partition then boot from the xp pro cd.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I did, but after I tried deleting the partition and reformatting and reinstalling. So NOTHING work lol.

In that case just use Windows ME for now and hopefully someone will come up with a better solution.

Sorry I wasn`t able to help.

Regards Howard :confused: :confused:

I am installing 2000 on a different hard drive and it just came up saying some files couldnt be copied so I dont think this one will work either. Who knows what it is. I hate to let this computer go to waste or pay big bucks to have someone look at it and not have it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back