Error when trying to add hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHawz13

When i try to add new hardware the add hardware wizard comes up and all the steps go thru until the very end it says an error occured. i have gotten a code 28 on this and do not know why my computer keeps getting these errors. i could not add a new printer or digital camera. It recognizes the hardware and says what it is. Everyone elses computers dont need the disk to load the items. Anything will help at this time. I am new to the forum also.

What Windows do you have? Also do you have the disks that came with them for manual installation? Sometimes Windows like to be a pain like that.

I have windows xp service pack 2 and I do have the disks for these products. All the product features are loaded on the computer but will not allow the connection to happen between the product and computer. I hook the usb connection up and it recognizes it there. It wont allow the driver to load up.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Did you install the drivers, before you connected the hardware?

When hooking up new usb hardware, it is usual to install the software drivers etc first, before connecting the device to the usb port.

On some installations you will be prompted to connect the equipment during the software installation.

Regards Howard :) :)

I have flags by IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controler "IEEE 1394 Controller" and under my "sound video and game controller" there are 4 that say unknown device. I do not know how to fix this either.

What kind of flags? Exclamation? Question mark? Red X?

Try right-clicking each flagged item and choose "uninstall" until they are all gone. Then restart the PC and see what XP can do. If it goes to install new hardware and wants the location of the driver, do your best to point XP at the CD or folder where the driver is. If you cancel the wizard, it won't work again.

2ndly, in Device Manager, if they are still flagged, double-click it and tell us what is in the text box for Device Status.

good luck

Ya so what does the status box say?

If you go in to the device (double-click in device manager) and choose update driver, then point XP to the driver location, what happens then?

When i unistall the drivers and restart the computer they try to install the driver and then says an error occurred and the data is invalid.

A dozen posts and we still don't know anything about your system, is this a new build or you had the system for a while.

What motherboard do you have
What chipset? Did you install the chipset "drivers" after installing XP?
What other components are in your system?
Is the IEEE 1394 enabled in the BIOS.
Do you have on-board Audio as well as another sound card you installed?
What are the settings for your printer port in the BIOS?

Its fairly new built last spring, Windows Xp SP2, Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz w/ 1gb ram, Nvidia GeForce 6600 video card, I have onboard sound plus another source from Sound blaster audigy2zs, ASUS PCI Express motherboard, I am not sure about the chipset being installed and also the printer Bios. I will have to find that out when I reset my computer. Thanks for the help though I will get this done tomorrow.

I wouldn't try installing it through Windows then. Whatever you have should have came with a disk see if you can install it from that. If it is doing it to a bunch of things it might be a windows and not a hardware program.

The "data is invalid" error is the key to your issue I think. I've seen this very rarely and has to do with registry permissions.

Assuming you are a user with administrative privileges, this usually means Windows doesn't have access to changing certain registry keys.

[edit sorry I just clicked the link posted above that explains this]

Hopefull that will fix your problem.

Heres some of my configuration information and see if this helps:
Chipset: Configure DRAM Timing by SPOD (enabled)
Booting Graphic Adapter Priori (PCI EXP/ INT-VG)
Internal Graphics Mode Select (Disabled)

PCI-EX Ports Config.:
VCI for AZALIA & Roots Ports (disabled)

ITE IDE Controller (Enabled)
Pallette Snooping (Disabled)

motherboard is ASUS P5GD1-VM

We need to go back to square one here.

What exactly is the hardware you need to install?

What are the errors when trying to install them? After following the link above, are you still getting the "data invalid" error?

And after the install fails, what is the status of the device in Device Manager?

Let's get a little more specific here.

I am trying to install a brand new HP printer and a canon digital camera and yes i am still getting the invalid data entry. There is nothing for these items in the device manager also.

Check Intel® 915 Express Chipset Family and download number 1, note the date, it is just a few days old.

Run the downloaded file, re boot and tell us if anything changed.
Make sure your on-board Video as well as Audio are disabled in the BIOS and if there are jumpers on the motherboard to disable them, do so.

Then visit P5GD1-VM Download page .

You will need to type P5GD1-VM where it says "Input Model to Search" for Category, select all.

Make sure you get the INF update from Intel, the one dated November 14th.

There is a new BIOS as well dated November 11th on the second link.

Just do the INF and the BIOS for now, don't go installing everything you see on the ASUS site or even Intel and be VERY selective.

"Permissions for USB"
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/archive/index.php?t-185.html

"You should follow it up until the point where it makes a reference to a PCI directory, at which point you should go down to the USB option and follow on the fix from there."
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/winxp_driver_data_invalid.doc
"If you get any prompts to copy, Paste or Remove; always choose Copy.
What you are also looking for in the "Permissions for USB" and "Advanced Security Settings for USB" windows are;
For both the Everyone and System entries to have "Full Control" and "Not Inherited""

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back