Errors loading any Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

raebabe

I have reloaded this Gateway 5 times now. We've used different copies of W2K, and PC-Coe disks and it's still giving me errors.

When I try to load the standard programs on the C: drives 5GB's of space I can only load one program fine and then if I try to load anything else I get an error. The error is different every time. I have plenty of space and I load these systems just about every day so it's nothing new. I've tried loading certain programs from disk and from the network and it makes no differance.

Last time I was trying to load Office from a disk and it told me the disk had generated errors and was going to shut down. Before that it was a similar error with loading Norton from disk. Once I was getting an error logging on saying it was missing a registry file right after I'd done a fresh load on the system.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on with this system?

Sounds like we are missing some total scope of the problem to make a good diagnosis. But based on what you have provided and if I had to venture a guess, I would say you are having some RAM problems. Basically I'd say your RAM is bad, run memtest86 on it: http://www.memtest86.com/
Don't really have much to add without a more comprehensive analysis.

Alright, after I went to all the trouble of asking you guys if you had any ideas I received an error stating my system was low on virtual memory so I increased it and I havn't yet had any problems but if I do I have a copy of memtest to run.

Thank you

I'd run it anyway, it's not going to hurt anything, and it might let you know something that has been masked by increasing you virtual memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back