Ethernet Controller - Do I need to install drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acoustics4me

Hi'a again.....2nd post for the night as I can't find anything to help me under google. I did google up what an ethernet controller is, didn't understand much of it, but gather it has something to do with networks? I only have one pc, and no network. When I open up device manager, there is that big old yellow questionmark beside the Ethernet Controller listing. When I double click it, the properties box tells me that the drivers for the device are not installed. Now I'm wondering do I need to install drivers for this controller if I'm not on a network? Under "Use this device" "Enabled" is selected. Do I need to change anything here? Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your expertise.

Me :)

Now, to pay for your help, I shall endevour to find a post that I can help with...lol. Fat chance I say.

Hey'a again :)

Would I only use it if I was on a network? And thanks for that link, I'll get to it tomorrow...

Thanks you,

Me

You would use it for a network and a Broadband internet connection like cable or dsl. Both are networks really the first is considered a LAN (local area network) and the second one a WAN (wide are network)

Hey'a Sam,

Would there be any advantage to that? Just wondering as I do like to know the 'why'...lol.

Thanks...

Me

You dont always have to install these drivers, I dont.

But then again - if they are available to you, it may be a good idea to do so because this may prefent some other problems.

Regards,

Korrupt

you may come across software that may want to use the nic and can lock up on errors
with it disabled the app may then bypass the nic
and you can never tell with windows one day it will just say I want to see the nic and not even boot

Korrupt, good point, which sort of links into what Samstoned is saying also. So I think I'll disable it. Thanks a lot guys, you've been a great help.

Me

I had a problem with this on my computer last night. I've not made any hardware changes in quite a while, nor have I made any serious changes to the computer in the last few weeks, but last night I booted up the computer to be confronted with the "Found New Hardware wizard" - asking to install drivers for me Ethernet controller.
I don't ever remember installing anything, but tried reinstalling from the disk that came with my mobo to no avail.
Basically, I can't use the internet, so this needs to be fixed but I don't understand why it's happened, and not sure how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back