Ethernet Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

radicalgel

Hey guys,

I have a small problem with my nForce onboard ethernet card which I use for my broadband connection. The ethernet card automatically disconnects and reconnects every 5 minutes or so. So im disconnect from the internet for a sec then reconnected, which is very annoying. I tried to uncheck the "Allow windows to turn off this device to save power" in the power management options but it didn't help. Also when I try to "Repair" I get an error while trying to clear NetBT. My connection is a "Nailed-Up" connect which I set in the router (Zyxel 660HW61) settings! It is a WiFi router that is connect to my desktop through the nForce card. Can someone please help me out here.

P.S. This problem seems to occur more often when I am running uTorrent.

Are you sure the problem is with your network card and not the router. P2P programs often create hundreds of connections in a matter of seconds and this is more than enough to tip over a home router.

Nodsu said:
Are you sure the problem is with your network card and not the router. P2P programs often create hundreds of connections in a matter of seconds and this is more than enough to tip over a home router.

So is there anyway to prevent this? Can I change any utorrent settings to stop the problem?

EDIT: I was just surfing with utorrent turned off and the problem occurred twice so I guess its not cuz of utorrent.

OK, assuming it is not router overload, it is either bad cable, bad router, bad router power supply, bad router firmware, bad network card drivers, bad network card..

So just start ruling out stuff starting with the free/cheaper options. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your NIC. Go to the NIC properties and set the link speed and duplex manually to 100Mbit full duplex. Update the router firmware. Try with another network cable. Try with no router at all (computer connected directly to the modem). Try with a separate (borrowed?) network card. Try with another (borrowed?) router.

If its possible, bypass the router... Use your computer to directly connect to the internet and see if you still get disconnected so you don't have to guess which device is having problem.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help. I changed my LAN settings to Force 10mbps instead of 100 and the problem seems to have disappeared. Just crossing my fingers and hoping it won't return! :)

I hope your internet connection isn't faster than 10 Mbits, otherwise your LAN would become a bottleneck.

we all lived with 10mb for decades and I would opt for a reliable 10mb over an
intermittent 100mb any day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back