ethernet range

Status
Not open for further replies.
any help or advice would be appreciated,
I am altering my home network so i can hopefully play my music,video wirlessly via my laptop/tv,
the original setup consists of a desktop pc+ netgear DG834pn and another desktop pc wired by ethernet (in two upstairs bedrooms), the laptop connects wireless to the DG834pn. moving the DG834pn is not an option as all wires go to its location. The wireless signal strength is poor throught out the house ( a medium uk 4bed semi), i think this due to the heating pipes and an excessive amount of wires + steelwork in the walls. So as a result i have aquired a netgear access point wpn802 and run an ethernet cable downstairs to supply it ( approx 30-40m of cat5e ). my problem is that the signal is too weak through the cable, when i connect desktop to laptop using the ethernet cable it is down to 10mbps, when i connect router to laptop or wpn802 its non existent.(router works fine on shorter runs upstairs). i have belled the cable out using meter and its ok.
has anyone had the same problem running a 30/40m cable and does anyone know of an affordable booster,extender or solution,
thanks.

if the netgear or your access point got a removable antenna, tehn buy a bigger/stronger antenna to attach to..

the cable is not a good grade of cable need to get shielded cat 5e
and if it is the connectors have a problem
this can be compounded by having the nic setup at auto try 100 full duplex
I run close to 65ft and the net is pretty fast
how about the nic is it a good one realtek is junk will work but has lots of bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back